Ultra Wide Angle Lens: Your take and/or experiences with Tokina lenses.

Greg49Greg49 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 5, 2010 in Cameras
I am in the market for an Ultra Wide Angle lens. I have been doing my research and I think I have norrowed it down to the Canon 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ATX. Price wise they aren't too different, so I am looking for some examples/pictures and experiences with either lens.

Thank you,

Greg49

Comments

• CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    edited April 30, 2010
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    edited April 30, 2010
    For the same money, I would probably go with the faster lens.
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Greg-
    I went on the DGrin Shootout to Acadia this past October and wanted to tryout an ultrawide lens. I also narrowed it down to the two you mentioned. I ended up renting the Tokina 11-16mm from lensrentals.com and couldn't have been happier. I was shooting on a 40D, so not full frame. I was really happy with my pictures. I did notice when shooting at 11 or 12mm with a filter attached (I was using the Cokin-P series) the filter did get in the way, picture kind of looked like it was taken in a tunnel. That might happen with all ultrawides on crop bodies, I don't know. Here is a link to my gallery from that trip, a large majority were taken with the Tokina 11-16mm lens: http://gyshwysh.smugmug.com/Landscapes/2009-Dgrin-Shootout-Acadia/9971532_PCS2R#684906436_dHqPv

Stephanie
  • mutti_wilsonmutti_wilson Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Tokina hands down. The 2.8 aperture alone is worth it. Yeah you give up 1mm on the wide end and lose a little on the tele, but really, just take a step and you are good to go. The Tokina is built awesome as well.
    Bodies: D300, D200
    Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro 80-200mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Nikon SB-600, Zeikos Grip, Original Tilt-All Tripod, Smith-Victor BH-52 Ball Head, Various Filters etc.
  • Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I own the Tokina for Nikon and half of the time it's on my camera. I love this lens so much I sometimes feel guilty it's not on my camera. It's incredibly fast, and for the price you can't beat it at all. I started to go back to some of the places that I once photographed with a 28-75 2.8 and the photos with the 11-16 make them look so much better because there's so much more to look at.
    Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
    website | blog | facebook
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I just picked up the Canon 10-22mm before my last trip. So far I like the quality of the images it has taken and I couldn't have gotten this shot with my 17-55mm without stitching a pano.

817626289_SteJu-XL.jpg
  • Greg49Greg49 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    For the same money, I would probably go with the faster lens.

Thank you CaiusMartius. I enjoyed the comparison article and sample pics. I also enjoyed you wedding shots. Are UWA lenses normally used in weddings. My friend asked me to second shoot a wedding with him next month and I would love to be able to capture a significant portion of the church and any large groups if needed.
    edited May 1, 2010
    Greg-
    I went on the DGrin Shootout to Acadia this past October and wanted to tryout an ultrawide lens. I also narrowed it down to the two you mentioned. I ended up renting the Tokina 11-16mm from lensrentals.com and couldn't have been happier. I was shooting on a 40D, so not full frame. I was really happy with my pictures. I did notice when shooting at 11 or 12mm with a filter attached (I was using the Cokin-P series) the filter did get in the way, picture kind of looked like it was taken in a tunnel. That might happen with all ultrawides on crop bodies, I don't know. Here is a link to my gallery from that trip, a large majority were taken with the Tokina 11-16mm lens: http://gyshwysh.smugmug.com/Landscapes/2009-Dgrin-Shootout-Acadia/9971532_PCS2R#684906436_dHqPv

Stephanie

Stephanie...thank you very much. Your pictures are incredible. I was impressed with the clearity, color and sharpness. Are we talking about diamonds? Oh, lenses; right. Would I be able to use the Tokina for say, a wedding shoot? I would really like to capture a "full church" shot or large group of people if necessary.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 1, 2010
    A super-wide angle lens is mostly used to show the setting and location of the wedding. It is typically used to "establish" the scene. It's also used to show group relationships and group interactions. As such it's not used that much either during the wedding or during formals, but some during the "getting ready" and some candids during the reception.

Mostly I find a normal or "standard" zoom to cover the majority of opportunities at a wedding, with a moderate to normal telephoto focal length used to capture more intimacy as needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 3, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    A super-wide angle lens is mostly used to show the setting and location of the wedding. It is typically used to "establish" the scene. It's also used to show group relationships and group interactions. As such it's not used that much either during the wedding or during formals, but some during the "getting ready" and some candids during the reception.

Mostly I find a normal or "standard" zoom to cover the majority of opportunities at a wedding, with a moderate to normal telephoto focal length used to capture more intimacy as needed.

Thank you Ziggy. I'm thinking of renting one and taking it for a test drive. I have to drive an hour to the closest camera shop, but worth it. The associates are very knowledgeable and take time to explain things. They also let you bring in your gear to test the lenses out.
  • Miko40DMiko40D Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    I've been shooting with the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for a year now. I am very happy with it! Build quality is very good.