Wet & Wild

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited May 10, 2010 in People
Got you attention with the title?!
I had a great time with this young lady. Still gotta figure out exactly how to better do the last one.

1.852280719_U4XnU-L.jpg
2.852280673_PSpJy-L.jpg
3.852280791_276ve-L.jpg

Comments

• Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I like the set! I think what would help the last one would be to crop it in tighter. I get the idea but if you did it up close and were able to see the water blurred it would do it more justice!
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    She's cute!!! Love the set! On the last one a lot less DOF would have been most beneficial. How about going in adding a little glausian blur so the back ground is not as distracting.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Nice work. With #3, I think I would do what I could to blur the background and then crop this photo down a bit. She's getting lost in the detail of the background.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Really nice set, first two are brilliant.

Dumb question for you. What is the theory behind that turned-in leg that many models do. It always looks very contorted to me, but I figure that there must be some logic behind it. I'm talking about the way her right leg (camera left) is oriented, more specifically, the foot.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Andrew, in that shot it was purely serendipity. However when I go back into my files I find alot of examples of that. I pose for the senior to give them an idea of what I want and they mirror me. For me it is about attitude and that is what the seniors like and see.
    Also I tend to work fast to get all the photographs in that I want in a short period of time and at times overlook certain things that should be corrected but generally I'm the only one that realizes it.
    Photographers are our own worst enemy. We tend to over analyze a photo. An example is when photographers look at eyes they want to see a large irsis. In reality I've never had a parent ask me why the pupil was large and not the irsis. Go figure.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    That 3rd one is really great. What fun. She looks like you two had a great time shooting.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited May 3, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Andrew, in that shot it was purely serendipity. However when I go back into my files I find alot of examples of that. I pose for the senior to give them an idea of what I want and they mirror me. For me it is about attitude and that is what the seniors like and see.
    Also I tend to work fast to get all the photographs in that I want in a short period of time and at times overlook certain things that should be corrected but generally I'm the only one that realizes it.
    Photographers are our own worst enemy. We tend to over analyze a photo. An example is when photographers look at eyes they want to see a large irsis. In reality I've never had a parent ask me why the pupil was large and not the irsis. Go figure.
    Thanks. Sorry, I wasn't trying to over-analyze the shot. I get that it is coming from the fashion world -- that sort foot positioning is all over there. I didn't think it was an oversight or something to be corrected, but rather the look she or you (or both) wanted, and was trying to figure you the logic behind that foot positioning. I know I stink at posing, so I generally figure there is some logic behind fashion(able) poses that I don't intuitively understand-- I guess it tends to accentuate the hip curve? I take your point that it naturally came about so either it was something she was doing either consciously or naturally. Thanks again.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Hack, will you please share your lighting setup on #2. I envy those pure white backdrops! They are all beautifull!!!
    edited May 3, 2010
    idoteech wrote: »
    Hack, will you please share your lighting setup on #2. I envy those pure white backdrops! They are all beautifull!!!

Eva, I use two 10x30 strips to light the bkg at about a 45 angle to the bkg. The main is a 4x6 softbox with a 3x5 silver reflector. Figure your main light exposure and read your bkg lights with the meter at subject position and the light reflected off the white bkg. Try for the same fstop or maybe one higher than the main. Watch out for spill on your subject. That ruins everything.
  • idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Do you put the strips on a boom stand?
    edited May 3, 2010
    Eva, they are on stands at the edge of the background. I use Denny's white vinyl. You can do alot with dodging also if needed.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Dumb question for you. What is the theory behind that turned-in leg that many models do. It always looks very contorted to me, but I figure that there must be some logic behind it. I'm talking about the way her right leg (camera left) is oriented, more specifically, the foot.

I think they do it to accentuate the posterior... My two cents...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote: »
    I think they do it to accentuate the posterior... My two cents...

And mine (2cts) - The old adage; If it bends, BEND IT! The more twists-n-turns, the better.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    And mine (2cts) - The old adage; If it bends, BEND IT! The more twists-n-turns, the better.

HB;

The pose looks wonderful in 3. I agree w/ Scott, though, that she's being swallowed up by the bg.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Swartzy wrote: »
    That 3rd one is really great. What fun. She looks like you two had a great time shooting.
    15524779-Ti.gif I would have loved to see some more rain drops, but if you ever figure out how to nicely do that, let me know :D I think you need a good amount of water and a good amount of strobe power to get it? ne_nau.gif
    edited May 6, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I would have loved to see some more rain drops, but if you ever figure out how to nicely do that, let me know :D I think you need a good amount of water and a good amount of strobe power to get it? ne_nau.gif

kirk voclain did a good demo of how to get that look. its on one of the photo vision dvds
    edited May 6, 2010
    Kirk is 1 of my heroes.
    edited May 6, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Kirk is 1 of my heroes.

totally agree with you! look up the video. it was called seniors voclain style!
    edited May 7, 2010
    totally agree with you! look up the video. it was called seniors voclain style!

If someone finds a link/pointer to this, please share. I came up empty.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Great job.
    I took a look at your site and there are a lot of great pictures.
    Always looking to improve.