Camera equipment choice for upcoming trip

jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
edited May 1, 2010 in Cameras
I have a trip to Hawaii (see thread in Locations, Locations if you have suggestions for what to see), and I have a dilema about what camera equipment to take. I've been using my Nikon D60 for over a year now, and have been mostly happy with the results, and am comfortable with it. But, yesterday I received a D200 that I just ordered used. I've been following used prices for a few months now, since the D60 autofocus can be disappointing with my dogs. I finally saw a price that I wanted to spend, so I ordered. So, what camera do I take with me? The old and familiar, but slower, or the new with the better controls?

I will be taking a Sigma 10-20 (4-5.6), a 35mm f1.8, and a 55-200 (non-VR). Unless someone gives me a good reason why I'll need it, my 18-55 VR stays home. I like to keep the weight down somewhat, the plan is to do carryon only, so all of the camera gear, a netbook, a book or 2, noise cancelling headphones, an iPod nano, and some food have to go in my personal item.

So, what would anyone suggest that I take?

Thanks

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    for a vacation I don't think it really matters what body you bring. if you bring the d200..read the manual cover to cover on the plane ride!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 30, 2010
    Is photography an important component of this trip or do you just want to document what you see?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Is photography an important component of this trip or do you just want to document what you see?

Photography is always a pretty big part of my travels. Honestly, if I just wanted a few snapshots documenting the trip, I would probably just take a P&S. I also feel that a lot of my best photography is my travel photography. My wife is also very tolerant of my taking a bit of extra time for the photography.
    edited April 30, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    for a vacation I don't think it really matters what body you bring. if you bring the d200..read the manual cover to cover on the plane ride!

Since I bought used, I don't have a paper copy of the manual, but I started reading the PDF version from Nikon's website before the camera even arrived. I've finished it already, but I have it saved on my netbook already.
  • mutti_wilsonmutti_wilson Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I went from a D70 to a D200 and it took me all of a couple minutes to transition. Just go through the menus, you'll see the changes. The D200 is better than the D60 all over the board except for size and weight...if you count that a negative.

So I guess my recommendation is take the D200.
    Bodies: D300, D200
    Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro 80-200mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Nikon SB-600, Zeikos Grip, Original Tilt-All Tripod, Smith-Victor BH-52 Ball Head, Various Filters etc.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 30, 2010
    jziegler wrote: »
    Photography is always a pretty big part of my travels. Honestly, if I just wanted a few snapshots documenting the trip, I would probably just take a P&S. I also feel that a lot of my best photography is my travel photography. My wife is also very tolerant of my taking a bit of extra time for the photography.

I recommend the D200 then, just for the better AF. Do test the body thoroughly first to make sure there are no show stopping problems. If it were me, I would also take the D60 for backup.

At least do take a P&S if this is not a common vacation destination. (It would be tragic to have a camera failure with no backup at all.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 30, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I recommend the D200 then, just for the better AF. Do test the body thoroughly first to make sure there are no show stopping problems. If it were me, I would also take the D60 for backup.

At least do take a P&S if this is not a common vacation destination. (It would be tragic to have a camera failure with no backup at all.)

Thanks Ziggy,

There will be a lot of testing of the D200 this weekend, as much as I can fit in with a pre-trip busy schedule. As for the D60 as a backup, that may depend on how big and heavy my bag gets, but is a consideration. Having 2 bodies ready with different lenses has an appeal as well. The down side is different batteries and memory cards.

There will be P&S backup. I'm traveling with my wife and in-laws, and we are supplying a total of 3 P&S cameras for the family (but one is IR converted). My in-laws won't use them much, so I can claim one if the need arises.
    edited April 30, 2010
    I went from a D70 to a D200 and it took me all of a couple minutes to transition. Just go through the menus, you'll see the changes. The D200 is better than the D60 all over the board except for size and weight...if you count that a negative.

So I guess my recommendation is take the D200.

I do count the weight as a negative, at least for packing carry-on only. But the transition look to be pretty smooth, although I think that interface wise, the transition from D60 might be a bit more involved than D70. Size might end up being a slight negative for me as well as I have small hands, but that is probaly something I will quickly become accustomed to.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I agree with Ziggy - take BOTH bodies. Sionce you're taking multiple lenses and other gear already, a second camera body won't be a huge addition to your bag, and it may save your bacon if something goes wrong with your newly-purchased, pre-owned camera.

However, I also recommend that you reconsider the idea of travelling carry-on only, particularly for a trip that will last a whole week, not to mention the long hours you'll be on planes from NJ to HA. It would be better, IMHO, to pack clothes, toiletries, and other non-fragile items in a checked bag, and limit yor carry-on to fragile/expensive electronics (camera and computer gear), and those things you will need on the flight (snacks, reading material, music player, daily meds, etc).

By putting the bulk of your stuff into a checked bag, you will have a bit more leeway in what camera and computer gear to pack, and more room for essential items that you might need during the flight. Let's face it, you'll probably need reading material, snacks, and wet naps on the flight a LOT more than you'll need your dress clothes or a change of underwear!

And having the extra room for more camera gear will let you take that 18-55 VR lens (I happen to think an 18-55 makes a very nice walkaround lens for vacations), the second camera body, and a portable CD or DVD drive for your netbook (a must for backing up those pics before returning home!)

I know those luggage fees are a PITA, and a lot of people don't like to risk losing their checked bags between origin and destination, but for a trip that's not only cross-country, but also crosses the ocean, I think you'd appreciate the greater capacity to carry things you'll need in-flight and during stopovers enough to offset the fees. Absolute worst-case scenario, in case of lost luggage, is that you'll have to buy some new underwear, a toothbrush, and maybe a suit for the wedding. And the airline will compensate you for at least some of that stuff if your luggage is lost or misdirected, and you'll still have your full photo kit for the wedding and vacation.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited April 30, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    I agree with Ziggy - take BOTH bodies. Sionce you're taking multiple lenses and other gear already, a second camera body won't be a huge addition to your bag, and it may save your bacon if something goes wrong with your newly-purchased, pre-owned camera.

However, I also recommend that you reconsider the idea of travelling carry-on only, particularly for a trip that will last a whole week, not to mention the long hours you'll be on planes from NJ to HA. It would be better, IMHO, to pack clothes, toiletries, and other non-fragile items in a checked bag, and limit yor carry-on to fragile/expensive electronics (camera and computer gear), and those things you will need on the flight (snacks, reading material, music player, daily meds, etc).

By putting the bulk of your stuff into a checked bag, you will have a bit more leeway in what camera and computer gear to pack, and more room for essential items that you might need during the flight. Let's face it, you'll probably need reading material, snacks, and wet naps on the flight a LOT more than you'll need your dress clothes or a change of underwear!

And having the extra room for more camera gear will let you take that 18-55 VR lens (I happen to think an 18-55 makes a very nice walkaround lens for vacations), the second camera body, and a portable CD or DVD drive for your netbook (a must for backing up those pics before returning home!)

I know those luggage fees are a PITA, and a lot of people don't like to risk losing their checked bags between origin and destination, but for a trip that's not only cross-country, but also crosses the ocean, I think you'd appreciate the greater capacity to carry things you'll need in-flight and during stopovers enough to offset the fees. Absolute worst-case scenario, in case of lost luggage, is that you'll have to buy some new underwear, a toothbrush, and maybe a suit for the wedding. And the airline will compensate you for at least some of that stuff if your luggage is lost or misdirected, and you'll still have your full photo kit for the wedding and vacation.

I'm thinking about both, will see about the space and weight. I'm going to start packing this weekend and see how it turns out.

As for the 18-55, it is a useful range, but I find myself usually at the ends of it (hence getting the 10-20 recently, which I have not traveled with before), or wanting the 35 for better low light capabilities. I have both ends covered, as well as the middle of it, so I'm not sure I'll miss it that much.

As for checking a bag, that is not going to happen. I happen to be a master at packing light, and have done 1.5 weeks in Europe in the winter without checking bags. It's not about the fees, it's about mobility. I won't get into that too much on here, as there are better places to discuss such issues, but it is so much easier getting to and from the airport and to your hotel when you don't have all of the extra bags and weight. This is more of an issue when I go to Europe, where most of my trips have involved hotel-airport transfers on public transit, it really makes all travel easier.

Thanks
  • mutti_wilsonmutti_wilson Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I packed all the gear in my sig to Europe a couple months ago (carry on) and yeah it was heavy, but what are you gonna do? I had four different flights and long walks/layovers on every stop so there was a lot of lugging around. You just make do and it's worth it in the end.
    Bodies: D300, D200
    Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro 80-200mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Nikon SB-600, Zeikos Grip, Original Tilt-All Tripod, Smith-Victor BH-52 Ball Head, Various Filters etc.
    edited May 1, 2010
    That is quite a bit of gear to carry with you. The D200 is starting to feel pretty good in my hands, weight wise, and the airline we're flying has a generous carry-on weight allowance, so the D200 will probably go with me. I just need to do some more testing to see that all is working alright.

Thanks all for the encouragement. I suppose the biggest thing holding me back at first was the new (to me) gear on a big trip. But I'm getting a better feeling about that now.
    I packed all the gear in my sig to Europe a couple months ago (carry on) and yeah it was heavy, but what are you gonna do? I had four different flights and long walks/layovers on every stop so there was a lot of lugging around. You just make do and it's worth it in the end.