Options

image resize question

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited May 2, 2010 in Finishing School
I took a photo that someone emailed to me, opened it in CS3, cropped it to the needed dimensions (512x400 px), clicked save as a jpeg, adjusted the quality slider so that the size was about 95 kb, hit save.

When I look at the photo in Windows Explorer, it says the file size is 86KB. If I open up the image in CS3 again and click save for web (just to see the file size), show it at maximum quality, it says it's 132 KB.

What do all these discrepancies mean, and what's the image size really?? I need this info fast, so I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    I took a photo that someone emailed to me, opened it in CS3, cropped it to the needed dimensions (512x400 px), clicked save as a jpeg, adjusted the quality slider so that the size was about 95 kb, hit save.

When I look at the photo in Windows Explorer, it says the file size is 86KB. If I open up the image in CS3 again and click save for web (just to see the file size), show it at maximum quality, it says it's 132 KB.

What do all these discrepancies mean, and what's the image size really?? I need this info fast, so I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Try this, Elaine:

http://www.deke.com/content/photoshop-top-40-feature-3-image-size

You'll probably want to check his entire Top 40...very concise and understandable information...

cg
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    chasgroh wrote: »
    Try this, Elaine:

http://www.deke.com/content/photoshop-top-40-feature-3-image-size

You'll probably want to check his entire Top 40...very concise and understandable information...

cg

Thank you! I'll check it out.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography