Tips Needed for Blog Post! (Credit/Links provided)

PamelaSDPamelaSD Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Technique
I’m creating a blog series with helpful “Tips from the Pros” and want to feature photographers from the Dgrin community! Credit and links will definitely be provided and all of our blog posts are shared through ScanDigital’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, so it could be a great way to attract some new traffic to your site too.

First topic: Lighting
Photo tips regarding all things lighting will be the first topic. Remember, our audience ranges from amateurs to professional, so all tips welcome- can range from very technical, but some of our point-and-click amateurs will surely enjoy more basic, easy to follow tips.
Just reply to this thread with your tip, photo example (optional), link to your website and social media networks (if not already in your signature) and you’ll likely be included in our “Tips from the Pros: Lighting” post!
Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Pamela Weiss
Director of PR & Marketing
ScanDigital

www.scandigital.com
Twitter: @PamelaSD and @ScanDigital
Facebook: Become a fan!

Comments

• GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Well one thing is, the larger the light source, the more even the light on your subject. So using a larger diffusion product or reflector (softbox, umbrella, etc) will give you more even light across your subject. The larger the better.

So, if you have a choice between a 45" umbrella and a 60" umbrella, the 60" should give you better light with less hot spots on your subject. An even larger source would be better--say a large wall to bounce a flash off of (assuming it's where you need it to be relative to your subject of course).

I'm sure others can chime in on more details on this.
  • PamelaSDPamelaSD Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Well one thing is, the larger the light source, the more even the light on your subject. So using a larger diffusion product or reflector (softbox, umbrella, etc) will give you more even light across your subject. The larger the better.

So, if you have a choice between a 45" umbrella and a 60" umbrella, the 60" should give you better light with less hot spots on your subject. An even larger source would be better--say a large wall to bounce a flash off of (assuming it's where you need it to be relative to your subject of course).

I'm sure others can chime in on more details on this.

Thanks, Rick! I'll definitely include this tip in my post :) If you have an example of a photo you've taken using this trick (or just one that demonstrates good lighting), send a link and I can include the photo in my post next to your tip. Not totally needed, but would be great if you have one.

As a new student of photography myself, I'm just learning about diffusion and additive lighting, but haven't heard of using an umbrella- I'm going to have to try this one!

Thanks and talk soon!
    Pamela Weiss
    Director of PR & Marketing
    ScanDigital

www.scandigital.com
    Twitter: @PamelaSD and @ScanDigital
    Facebook: Become a fan!
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I'll have to get something posted tomorrow. Running out at the moment.