825543457_LErZZ-L.jpg

825543824_7aMsE-L.jpg

844145676_7faGW-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    kind of Sad & Funny same time:

Foreground Man has a humble posture (almost begging), serves seems to be searching for an
    extra piece.

Of course Older Lady/Hat is just "Minnie Pearl" hilarious

Ok now that's just me :D
  • Options
    Ifocus4uIfocus4u Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Wonderful images! Great message!!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    kind of Sad & Funny same time:

Foreground Man has a humble posture (almost begging), serves seems to be searching for an
    extra piece.

Of course Older Lady/Hat is just "Minnie Pearl" hilarious

Ok now that's just me :D

Minnie Pearl?... HowDEE!!!!!!!!!

In #4, the humble posture is actually because he was trying catching her attention to say "Thank you" for what he had received.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    Ifocus4u wrote: »

Thanks! They were performing a generous and needed service to the community.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Ifocus4u wrote: »

Nice images indeed! But do you know what this group is really about?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Nice images indeed! But do you know what this group is really about?

Thanks!

I have read the Wikipedia entry and visited their website, but I would love to hear what you can contribute regarding their roots and what they are about.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Thanks!

I have read the Wikipedia entry and visited their website, but I would love to hear what you can contribute regarding their roots and what they are about.

I ask because I have a student doing a project on them here in Cambridge. Interestingly enough, their aim is not to feed the homeless,etc, which one would think from the photos - or any photos of them handing out food - but rather to overthrow capitalism. They apparently believe that they are undermining capitalism by giving away food, and they give it to all comers, not just to the needy. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I ask because I have a student doing a project on them here in Cambridge. Interestingly enough, their aim is not to feed the homeless,etc, which one would think from the photos - or any photos of them handing out food - but rather to overthrow capitalism. They apparently believe that they are undermining capitalism by giving away food, and they give it to all comers, not just to the needy. mwink.gif

I suspect that these original roots are more a historical footnote than a realistic goal of today's volunteers. Their introduction to their website states: "Food Not Bombs shares free vegan and vegetarian meals with the hungry
    in over 1,000 cities around the world every week to protest war, poverty and the destruction of the environment. With over a billion people going hungry each day how can we spend another dollar on war?"
    There was no apparent political proselytizing at this site during the time I was there (which does not mean it does not happen or is still a part of their mission). Their political aims have likely evolved since their founding (in Boston and preceding the breakup of the USSR) to more current issues including corporate and military issues.

Thanks for the take. I hope your student does a worthy job on his project.