Help with purchase please :)

AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited May 2, 2010 in Cameras
Hi everyone! :)

Looking for some help on what to buy....please!

I shoot mostly weddings, babies, portraits, landscape, flowers, and everyday candids.

My equipment:

Canon 50D
Canon Rebel XTi (backup)
Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
Canon 430 EX Speedlite
Gary Fong Diffusor
Misc: CF, batteries ect ect

I would really like to upgrade to a full frame camera. And keep my Canon D50 as my back up.
I have highly researched the Canon D5 Mark II and there just seems to be so many complaints of a common problem with focusing and low light situations. The Canon forum out of multiple customer reviews 99% have all complained of the same issue. Other sites also refer to this as a common complaint. That alone makes me fearful of purchasing this camera. Even though in many other aspects the reviews are positive.

Then there is the Nikon D700.........................<wbr>and I know that it probably wouldn't be wise to start buying Nikon, however, I'm thinking that I could go with both no?? Or would it be too complicated to have 2 different brands? The D700 just intrigues me with it's focusing system........though I know the D5 Mark II has better resolution.........and I realize if I bought the Nikon I would then have to invest in some lenses.

Or I could stay with what cameras I currently have................maybe sell my 70-200 f/4 IS and purchase the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, as it will be much more useful for weddings ect......then purchase the items listed below that ziggy53 had recommended on another inquiry of mine regarding lighting and flashes. Thanks again ziggy53 :), and possibly 1 other lens. Not sure though which one would be best for me right now......thoughts?

"I would start with the speedlights, but instead of the one Canon 580EX II I suggest you look at 2 of the Sigma EF 530 DG Super flashes in a Canon mount. The power of the Sigma units is a little less than the Canon flagship flash, but the feature set is very similar. The Sigma flashes are also very reasonable in cost and, most importantly, they allow both master and slave capabilities.

Since you can get 2 of the Sigma flashes for just about the same price as one Canon 580EX, the capabilities of the 2 units will offer far more benefits than any single flash.

You should also get a pair of light stands and umbrellas and umbrella brackets, as well as make some light modifiers. A flash bracket and off-camera cord is also pretty indispensable. For both studio work and for wedding formals some radio transmitter/slaves are indicated.

A budget of $600-$800USD is probably more reasonable to set this up in total, but you should be able to get closer to the $600 mark if you shop carefully.

So, if you get 2 flashes:

http://sigma4less.com/pd-<wbr>productid-2..._operation.htm

... add 2 - 10-12 foot stands and 45"-60" convertible umbrellas (white with removable black covers) and umbrella brackets, ... (just go to Adorama or B&H and search for these items)

... add a flash bracket and off-camera cord ... (again, use Adorama or B&H or a flash bracket of your choice)

... add some RF radio/slaves ... (I use some cheap EBay 16 channel units for this purpose)

... and finally some flash modifiers:

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/<wbr>908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.<wbr>com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/<wbr>2006-sm...flashmod/index."

I have about $3,000 to work with..........I saved really hard for this amount and would like to make the most of it.

I know this is long winded, sorry.........but I would really like to hear some thoughts on what others might do...................perhaps you would go a complete different direction altogether!

I'd really love some input if anyone has time to comment......thank you in advance!

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    huh???
    this is the main Canon forum, 99.9% of the owners like their Canon 5D mk II !
    www.photography-on-the.net/forum
    and the model is called a 5D (not D5 !)
  • AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Sorry for the typo Brett...of course I am referring to the 5D.

I read from so many different forums over the course of the week on the Mark II....I was thinking that the thread where practically everyone referred to it's difficulty focusing esp in low light was on the Canon's www.photography-on-the.net/forum however, I could be mistaken on the source.
    I just know that I keep reading on focusing issues and that had me a bit reluctant on purchasing.

So...no input on any recommendations? :)
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Sorry for the typo Brett...of course I am referring to the 5D.

I read from so many different forums over the course of the week on the Mark II....I was thinking that the thread where practically everyone referred to it's difficulty focusing esp in low light was on the Canon's www.photography-on-the.net/forum however, I could be mistaken on the source.
    I just know that I keep reading on focusing issues and that had me a bit reluctant on purchasing.

So...no input on any recommendations? :)

everyone? ! ??
    again, take a look at the main Canon forum
    www.photography-on-the.net/forum
    go to the 5D or the "equipment" section
    I believe you will find "practically everyone" likes the Canon 5D mk II !
    and it wouldn't hurt to peruse the lighting and wedding sections!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 30, 2010
    The Canon 50D and 5D MKII have similar AF sensors and systems. Are you experiencing any problems with your 50D AF?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I have highly researched the Canon D5 Mark II

obviously, you have not.
    and there just seems to be so many complaints of a common problem with focusing and low light situations.

When using center point, The autofocus of the 5DII is slightly better than the 50D. I went from a 40D to a 5DII, the 40D and 50D have the same AF system.

The 5DII AF complaints are based on the notion that any $2700 camera should have a 1D or 7D AF system, and that is a valid gripe. But if you're not shooting a lot of sports/action/wildlife the 5DII AF is more than adequate. Even if you are shooting sports/action/wildlife, it is capable of capturing many stunning keepers, granted the hit rate will be lower than a 1D or 7D (or D700). For weddings, babies, portraits, landscape, flowers, and everyday candids, the 5DII AF is sufficient.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 1, 2010
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

I guess I am too focused on what I have read negatively about focusing issues and not seeing the whole picture.
    I appreciate your time and comments.

Ziggy53, to answer your question, no I really have no issues with my 50D....any focusing issues are no doubt user error :)

What I do seem to have problems with, esp weddings, is noise at high ISO and the low lighting issues....

Again...........thank you everyone! :)
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    YES! Yes, I think you could go with Both ( FX) systems. In fact, I think it makes good sense. Why? Because then you can take advantage of what each system does best. I have to admit, I've not heard of low light AF issues on one more than the other. What I typically read is someone not really understanding how to circumvent the particulars of their situation, and it doesn't seem to matter which camera they are holding. Some lenses do matter though.

I own both the 5DMkII and the Nikon D700. I read you want to update to FX, but I do not read why? Perhaps you're just fishing to see what you catch, and thats okay too~

I See no inherent reason not to get equipped with the Nikon should you choose and if you like learning, then having more than one type system will be good for you, and fun too. The low light abilities of the D700 are good. With the budget you mention though, you're going to have to be a choosy Shopper! I have seen a couple D700's right here on Dgrin for sale @ $2k, which would only leave you about a grand to work with for glass...meaning you'd need to be choosy once again. And if the reason you're buying this system is for ceremonials Sans flash, then you could be good to go....you could still have the 50D with the 50 f/1.4 waiting in BU mode just in case.

I have been predominately a Nikon Shooter, having the glass I need and investments in flashes and so forth. The Canon I bought just for video, but I am finding more uses for it slowly. And what a landscape camera with the res it has! One of the very nice Side-benefits is being able to use an adapter to adapt my Nikon glass to the Canon. So if AF is not needed: landscapes, flowers, even wildlife, I can use the lenses I already own on the Canon system.

Good Luck~
    tom wise
    edited May 2, 2010
    Thank you angevin1......................great information. Thank you for your time and thoughts!! :)

PS I LOVE your gethuman link.....LOVE IT!!! :)
  • pthpth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I love my 5d (relatively recent purchase, amateur shooter). Not sure, but some of the complaints about the 5d's focus may also have to do with the lack of an integrated focus assist beam. The 5d can take some pretty good low light photos (although I am getting better at using lighting), but if the light is low, the auto focus will sometimes not work.

I have heard ziggy (sorry if my ever unreliable memory is wrong) recommend the ST-E2 not only as a useful IR flash master, but just as a focus assist beam.
    edited May 2, 2010
    Thank you pth.....not only do I have a lot to learn....but I also need to win the Lotto!! :)
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Looking for some help on what to buy....please!
    Buy the 5D MkII and be impressed. thumb.gif
  • pthpth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Thank you pth.....not only do I have a lot to learn....but I also need to win the Lotto!! :)

I know enough math to not play the lotto, but have to admit to purchasing a ticken when the prize gets large. Part of my lotto day dream is the trip to NYC and going absolutely crazy at B&H...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 2, 2010
    pth wrote: »
    ... I have heard ziggy (sorry if my ever unreliable memory is wrong) recommend the ST-E2 not only as a useful IR flash master, but just as a focus assist beam.

That's correct, the Canon ST-E2 Wireless Transmitter may also be used as a very nice AF assist light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums