Canon 7D or 5D Mark II?

MelMcClainMelMcClain Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited May 10, 2010 in Cameras
I'm getting a new camera.. not sure which I should go for though. Canon 7D or a Canon 5D Mark II? Currently working with a 50D and would really like something comparable to the set up. I heard that 5D's with the full sensor I wouldn't be able to use the same lens as I do on my 50D? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    MelMcClain wrote: »
    I'm getting a new camera.. not sure which I should go for though. Canon 7D or a Canon 5D Mark II? Currently working with a 50D and would really like something comparable to the set up. I heard that 5D's with the full sensor I wouldn't be able to use the same lens as I do on my 50D? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

huh?
    only EF-F type lens will not work on the Canon 5D
    if you need the higher FPS rate then the 7D may be the best model for you, otherwise the full frame 5D mk II is the better for image resolution (or the Canon 1d series)
  • bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Melissa,
    I took a look at your gallery to get an idea of what you shoot. Looks like mostly weddings, portraits, etc. My thought would be to get the 5D II if the wallet will handle it. You don't seem to need the high fps that the 7D would give you. I did see one L series lens in one of your pictures. Of course you would not be able to use an EF-s lens on the 5D body. Te jump to full frame versus crop would be perfect for you, in my opinion.

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I agree, for what you shoot, full frame would be perfect. The 7d is more of a wildlife/sports camera, in my opinion. You can either keep the 50d as backup with your ef-s lenses or you can sell them.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    7D is all about the AF and the FPS. If you need them and you can't afford/justify a 1D4, you get a 7D. Or a used 1D3, but that's "only" 10mp.

If your priorities are ultimate IQ, resolution, low light performance, then you get the 5D2.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Melissa,

I "converted" from the 50D to a 5DII. I had only two lenses that would not work on the 5DII (but I knew that going in) - the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and the EF-S 10-22. Note the "EF-S". It is only these (Canon) lenses that will not mount/work on the full-frame camera. All the "3rd party" lens makers have lenses that are intended for crop sensor cameras (such as your 50D) but will physically mount and work on the 5DII. With these lenses, you will get a circle of an image with the edges dark/black. Read you lens descriptions carefully to discover if any of your lenses fall into this category.

As for which to get .... I shot a number of weddings with both a 50D and a 5DII and found that I strongly favored the 5DII. Same would apply to fine art and to portrait photography.

As has already been mentioned, the specs for the 7D would lead one to believe it is intended for fast action where you have to get the focus quickly and where you need multiple frames per second.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Having started way back when with the 10D, then the 20D and jumping to the 5D, then the 5DII, especially for weddings, I'd say go for the MkII. Yeah, your EF-S lenses won't work. But the gain you'll get from full frame vs cropped is no comparison, IMHO. Granted, this comes from a 5D owner that wants to purchase a 7D quite badly, but that's due to my sports shooting, which I'm using my 6 year old 6MP 20D for, however, with the 3.9fps (vs 8 for the 20D) I'm getting "adjusted" to the slower frame rate just so I can have higher, CLEANER higher ISO shots. Now, with the 7D being newer, there are some focus/ISO advantages from what I've read (on wedding forums) but I honestly don't see that being a huge problem. Yeah, the 5DII can't focus in the dark, but even in low light it's pretty damn good focusing even without a 580II attached for the focus assist. When I did shoot weddings, I was happy as hell to have a usable 3200. Now, I'm happy to have a usable 12800 (H1) Yeah, I'll rarely, RARELY use H1, but, its there if I need it. H2, again, IMHO was way too noisy when I tried using it.. almost like the 104k ISO they added to the 1D4 to answer for Nikons super high ISO.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    however, with the 3.9fps (vs 5 for the 20D)

fixed that for ya. ;)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • LindsayNicholsPhotographyLindsayNicholsPhotography Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2010
    I was in the same boat with the 50D and moved on the the 5DII with no regrets. I shoot mostly kids and families and am finding it nice to have both bodies so I can have a zoom on the 5DII and a prime on the 50D. Good to be able to have both available when I don't have time to swap out lenses. I also get to use my EF-S lenses so that's a bonus.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    After viewing your website..............5D II.

That's it don't think any more, your decision is made.

Sam