Thinking about Cartier-Bresson

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited June 15, 2004 in People
I'm no HCB, but I've been thinking about him a lot recently.

5113571-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    OK, I give. I don't get it. Is it the composition and the out of focus? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    I like the out of focus foreground.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, I give. I don't get it. Is it the composition and the out of focus? headscratch.gif
    Look, I'm no HCB. It isn't hard to have no illusions about this. But I'll tell you what I was thinking. I was actually conscious when I took this picture of composition, DOF, and focus (well conscious might be kind of an exageration, maybe dimly aware would be more accurate.) I liked the movement of the kid in the front and wanted to accuate the sense of movement So I purposly overrode the camera's (incredibly smart) AF and focused on the team in the background. The composition is meant to communicate the team's victory celebration. The expressions are not happy exactly, more like satisfied with accomplishment. There is some ambiguity there, but the gesture of the kid in front is supposed to be unambigious.

I suppose the most obvious thing is that I was trying to manage a more complex composition with more elements than I usually attempt.
    If not now, when?