Do you purposely "delay" your proofs to your Wedding clients?

PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
(sorry if this has been discussed, I searched but hard to really search for this topic....)

Was thinking today, after finishing the editing for an event shot last weekend... "is it too soon to send them to see their photos?" In our non-busy times, I often complete editing just 1 or 2 days after the wedding...

Part of me says they'll be pleasantly surprised since we tell our clients 3-5 weeks turn-around. The other part of me says that turning around TOO quickly may make them think it's easy or we didn't take the time required to do it "right".

Of course, shooting RAW, using LR2, and using our large library of preset "special effect" makes editing VERY quick (5 hours max on a 1000 photo wedding). And believe me, we DO it "right".. we probably tweak/edit more than the majority of photographers out there... we're just really good at it.

So, what do you think? Make them wait 2 weeks? Get 'em to them as soon as possible? Make 'em wait even longer than 2 weeks? Whatever your answer, then explain why?
Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
2 Canon 40d
70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
And a bunch of other stuff ;)

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    I do not think there ios anything to really gain by turning around too quickly.....meaning....if you normally would take 4 weeks to deliver.....then make notice on week 3.....that is earlier than expected and will surprise them........i would do that in the film days and it does make for good feelings if the product is delivered a touch early........better a little early than late by a minute.....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I am with Zoomer on this one. If you are done them, send it over to them, at the least the online proofs. Even if they are off to their honey moon, ten to one they check their emails during the inbetween travel where looking at the photographs would get them excited.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I always like to give them 10-20 teaser images one or two days after...I never give them any of the 5 star shots in that teaser, but a couple 4s and 3s...Something to hold them over. Perhaps you can offer something similar?

If your fee included editing time, and you can honestly say that you spent that time/money effectively, then I see no reason why you couldn't go ahead and deliver the finished product. ne_nau.gif

Some people like to work up that suspense and mystique of the editing process I suppose...Make them wait just long enough to where they almost forget the details of the day and then BAM - Let them live it all over...Either way, we're talking a matter of days, whereas hopefully their marriage will last a little longer. And if your print sells are anything like mine, then yeah, you might get a few extra bucks by waiting, but the real payoff was your in your final installment.
  • starlightstarlight Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Although I'm not currently a wedding shooter, I did work as a second a few years ago and this is what I found most primaries doing...at least those who did their own editing..

A couple dozen *teaser* images on the web gallery for viewing by the family/etc within 48ish hours (ie usually by the end of Monday for weekend weddings), followed by the final presentation about two weeks later (or when they got back from the honeymoon, whichever was later). That seemed to be the balance that kept everyone happy.
  • ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Care to reveal any secrets on your editing.........I could never edit that many that quickly! :) ............pretty please.....:)
    "My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Lightroom, shooting RAW, and LR presets, and the occasional PhotoShop preset.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    edited May 15, 2010
    Pretty much. :) Taking the extra time in Prep can save hours in Post...

Get the settings right before the shoot (use the custom settings if your camera has them), double-check the settings as the light changes throughout the shoot, shoot RAW, use Lightroom2 presets or copy/paste of settings to dramatically speed up Post. :)

Even if I've been there before, I'll still take a quick wander to the places I know are important and take a few sample shots just to remind myself of the settings I'll need in the heat of the shoot when my mind is on the subject, not the settings...

Especially when you're shooting something new, go there at the same time (ie light) of day before the shoot and get a feel for the settings (and even gear) you'll need. This can help you set up presets in both the camera and software that you can play with on shots that aren't important. Over time you'll accumulate a library of pre-sets that you can refer to... :)
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Was thinking today, after finishing the editing for an event shot last weekend... "is it too soon to send them to see their photos?" In our non-busy times, I often complete editing just 1 or 2 days after the wedding...
    Why not? ne_nau.gif

The sooner the clients have access to them, the sooner they might order from you and the sooner you have some cash flow from the job. How can that possibly be disadvantageous?
    edited May 15, 2010
    The only downside I can see is if they refer others to you who then have the expectation that such fast turnaround is normal. However, clear communication is the way to deal with this, if it comes up.
    edited May 16, 2010
    Why not? ne_nau.gif

The sooner the clients have access to them, the sooner they might order from you and the sooner you have some cash flow from the job. How can that possibly be disadvantageous?

As I mentioned before - they are paying us thousands for this work - in their mind they are thinking that for the next 2 weeks, all we'll do is work on their photos - but the "dirty little secret" is that those times are long gone - 4-6 hours for a 1200-photo wedding including 25-30 photos with artistic special effects, and the rest print-ready (exposure/white balance, crop/straighten).

So in reality, if I wanted to work on a Sunday after a Saturday wedding, I could have them uploaded for proofing by 7pm Sunday (including uploading of the full-res photos to Smugmug).

That, IMO, takes away the illusion that most brides have. And that is really bad.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    edited May 16, 2010
    Care to share your favorite and most used pre-sets?
    I'm really loving your work and turn-around time! :)
    edited May 16, 2010
    Us? If so, thanks for the compliments... if not then I'm still answering the question...

We use "Presetopia" package of presets quite often, and a set called "Matt's Presets" which IIRC he distributed for free. For Photoshop, mostly Totally Rad Actions.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    edited May 17, 2010
    Thank you PhotoLasVegas!
    If I could edit that many images in that short of time...............I'd be Lov'n life!!!!!!!
    I have many of those actions but seems I spend a lot of time trying one, not caring for it, so try another, consuming time .................maybe I'll have to revisit them and see if I have better luck this time :)
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    The bridal pair is on their honeymoon. They'll look at their photos a few days after they return.

The wedding guests place orders early while the memory is fresh. Make sure you get their portraits up early and can send them an email alert