Do You Think You Know What This One Is ?

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
If you do, you're probably wrong. How can that be? One look at that grill and a few other design features and you'd swear that this car is a late '30s BMW. Close, but no cigar.

This car is a 1954 EMW 327/3 coupe. Here's the story. In 1945, after WW II ended, the BMW plant in Eisenach, Germany fell into that portion of Germany that went to the Russians. The Russians restored production at the plant and started turning out cars based on BMW models from the later '30s....mostly and old model # 321. They later on upgraded their production to include the newer model # 327...still a '30s model.

Fearing international lawsuits from BMW, the Russians stopped calling their cars BMWs and changed them to EMW....the " E " coming from Eisenach, where they were made. They also changed ( look closely ) the colors on the famous BMW swirling-propeller logo from blue to Bolshevik Red. They only made 152 of these cars and they were reserved for the privileged class of the East German regime. This car is thought to be the only 327/3 in the U.S. You can see it won two awards....a fantastic restoration.

853222207_PQ3nh-XL.jpg

853222049_qEi6c-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

You always come up with the neatest finds and things that I have
    never heard of, that is just too cool of a car and story.

Thanks for sharing.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Yo Craig,

I'm glad you enjoy these rare things when I'm able to come across one of them and share them with you folks. You can imagine how excited I was to see this EMW. I'd heard of them and then here I am, walking along the show, and, lo and behold, I come up on one of them. Blew me away.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Nice job, Tom!

…as usual!

Thanks for the pics & the story…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Hi Wil,

Good to hear from you.....thanks for looking in.

Take care,

Tom