Instead of school photos

WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in People
This wonderful family wanted a private photo session instead of the assembly line school photos. The kids were great. Boys just don't like getting their pic taken but he was a trooper.

What do you think?

p911166387-4.jpg

p770699195-4.jpg

p579401032-4.jpg
Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook

Comments

• WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Comments?
    Michael

Facebook
  • justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I'll comment since the only comments people put are of kids 0-3yrs old.

I really like the first two, The look of the photos feels very 80's to me, I guess it's the processing you did. The last one is ok, but the 1st two thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I'm liking the first one most. I'm personally not a huge fan of the desat look, but that's just personal choice. The second one suffers a bit from the plaid shirt, but the straight-on look to get the piggy tails is perfect. Not sure what I don't like about the last one, but it doesn't work for me. I think the expression looks too smug (the angle is him looking down at me, plus the smirk). Nicely lit and processed, though.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited May 2, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

The last one was taken when he wasn't ready and I was giving him a hard time about something. I do have a "aged" processed one of him leaning against a wall.
    Michael

Facebook
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    There's no question in my mind, #1 is the best of the group.

#2 - I have a thing about looking down on small people like this. In my view, getting the camera down on their level (or lower) gets a much better portrait.

#3 - This one just plain works for me. I can see the whole "young person attitude" that the DW and I had to bear up under as our son was going though this phase.
    edited May 4, 2010
    There's no question in my mind, #1 is the best of the group.

#2 - I have a thing about looking down on small people like this. In my view, getting the camera down on their level (or lower) gets a much better portrait.

#3 - This one just plain works for me. I can see the whole "young person attitude" that the DW and I had to bear up under as our son was going though this phase.

Thanks Scott! I agree with looking down on little ones but her expression was great.

Also, I am learning that when I am taking pics for a client they usually don't know anything about photography and get really excited about photos I think are just so so. That is teaching me not to be overly hard on myself (when shooting for parents)...chances are the client will love the photos that I might overlook. Now, when shooting for myself....that is a whole other story. eek7.gif
    Michael

Facebook
  • Sachis2112Sachis2112 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Personally, I like the last shot. Although the first one is my favorite, having just shot a teenager over the weekend, the last shot totally does it for me. I'm guessing this expression is very much his personality with a wee smile added in...
    ~Sachi
    Flickr
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I really like the first one. The pose is nice and the PP works.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I like the #1 a lot..

#2.. like scott said. I prefer to drop on my knees to get people to look down into my camera.. Something about people looking up at you makes me feel like they are threatened, even if they are smiling..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook