Brewster

Comments

• HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Brewster wrote: »
    C+C most welcome......
    Thanks for looking,
    Brewster
    Well, there's more background than girl and a part of her face that we COULD see is covered by her jacket collar. The whole photo seems out of focus too. Sorry.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Halliday -
    Thanks for the comments, headed back out this afternoon to have another go at it.
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Thanks for posting! It looks like the white balance is off or something. The image looks a bit green/yellow. You have a nice blurred background - but the strong green right in the center of the frame is drawing attention away from your subject. Personally, I don't mind the negative space. If you have the ability to take your flash off-camera, try that. It'll give your subject some depth - and you can do a lot of cool stuff with shadows.

Hope that's helpful!
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
    edited May 3, 2010
    Thanks d8
    I've been battling with the color balance, and can't seem to nail it down.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    What tool are you using for the CB? I find that I personally end up with a faster, better result in LR than CS. (LR flow would be the similar to the camera RAW import flow as well).

The color does have that sunset feel to it, so it may be the tone you want (through the rest of the scene isn't screaming sunset).

Also, if you use the linking method for posting you can get a much higher resolution image and better quality than the attachment method. Some of the softness may just be the massive compression you are dealing with for the attachment. Other bonus, is that links are visible when you are doing replies so you can re-look at the picture -- can't with attachments. Overall, I liked the image, it had a good contemplative feel to it.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited May 4, 2010
    Thanks Andrew -
    I'm using LR now, I find a lot of the shots are coming out of the camera a little cool, I may have warmed this one up a bit much.
    Take care,
    Brewster
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    You might want to invest in a grey card. Photovision sells a nice little nylon one that folds up, but there are plenty of options, including paper ones that come along as a bonus in a couple of the Kelby books on LR and CS.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    From where you are now, slide your White Balance to the left a touch. I copied your pic and dropped it in - so in JPG world, -14 looked good to me. Try going just a bit cooler from where you are and see what you think.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
    edited May 4, 2010
    d8
    ok, tried that as you suggested, and yes, -14 from the sample starting point now looks pretty good. I spent some time earlier reviewing posts on use of gray cards, and processing tips. I'm trying not to change too many things at once, as not to confuse the issue.

I looked at the original dng file (raw) again, and LR is telling me that the color temp is 5050, and that looked a little cold to me. I'm on a laptop right now, lets not even go there!

And to add insult to injury, this whole exercise was to work on fill flash, which I was fairly happy with.

Andrew -
    I'm going to start shooting a gray card for the first shot of the series, and work with that as a starting point.

I can see I have to seriously look at my post processing to get my results anything near consist ant.

Thanks for the help,
    take care,
    Brewster
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    d8

I'm going to start shooting a gray card for the first shot of the series, and work with that as a starting point.

Brewster

I would suggest you shoot your neutral target twice - once at the beginning of your session, and once at the end. Light changes outdoors. It helps to have your model hold it up in front of, or beside her face. They think it's cool.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited May 5, 2010
    Icebear
    Thanks for that one.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Halliday -
    Thanks for the comments, headed back out this afternoon to have another go at it.
    So, what did you come up with? ear.gif
    edited May 6, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    So, what did you come up with? ear.gif

Ivar
    The afternoon did not work out as originally planned, and
    unfortunately it's been freaking cold and raining for 3 days. Actually froze overnight last night. And I'm out of town on business for the next day or so.
    My motto: "a poor excuse is better than none at all" :D

Friday looks better as does the weekend, I should have something up for you by Monday, if not sooner.