Divas, Drama Queens, and Nuns !!!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in People
- I was invited to a dress rehearsal earlier this week and have a few to share.

- Most were shot at ISO 800 or 1600, with a handful taken at ISO3200. After a bit I decided the easiest...quickest adjustment when the lights were lowered or raised was simply to move the ISO....and keep my shutter speed up, rather than lowering it. White Balance....eeek....the tint of the lighting changed as often as the intensity of it. From blue and purple to deep orange and daylight. I merely tried to find a happy place in post for the whitebalance and let everything else fall where it may.

-It was a hillarious production!

1-
853224631_GhEej-M.jpg

853304119_dDGZy-M.jpg

853295018_GNgV3-M.jpg

4-
853239360_zrPHr-M.jpg

853255722_ch43g-M.jpg

6-
853275982_Ftw2z-M.jpg

7-

853281746_BDPM8-M.jpg

8-
853317241_tDL7z-M.jpg

9-
853284509_tE7zf-M.jpg

10-
853226319_eGU3i-M.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    NICE job Jeff, especially with all that black and white! What lens did you use?

I've found with theatre shooting that you have to kind of revise your concept of a WB, since the lighting designer may have intentionally gone for something that isn't "natural", and you just have to ride with it. Rather than always adjusting for perfect skin tones - unless that's obviously what was intended onstage - I'll try to balance it so it looks like what I remember. If that's WAY off, then I'll tweak it back to something more natural, but it can be mighty awkward sometimes!

Nice job with these - i'm sure they'll be pleased to have them thumb.gifthumb

PS Do I see the glamourous Breanna playing a nun? :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I think you did a wonderful job with this set.

The DW and I went to this show when it came throught Albuquerque some 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the cast was different then :D
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    NICE job Jeff, especially with all that black and white! What lens did you use?

I've found with theatre shooting that you have to kind of revise your concept of a WB, since the lighting designer may have intentionally gone for something that isn't "natural", and you just have to ride with it. Rather than always adjusting for perfect skin tones - unless that's obviously what was intended onstage - I'll try to balance it so it looks like what I remember. If that's WAY off, then I'll tweak it back to something more natural, but it can be mighty awkward sometimes!

Nice job with these - i'm sure they'll be pleased to have them thumb.gifthumb

PS Do I see the glamourous Breanna playing a nun? :D

Yes thats her....the Nun!!! What a jump from Methodist ....to singing Nun!

Your dead on about the white balance. I was using the 70-200 F2.8 IS L for these on the 50D. And thats all the gear I brought. I knew flash would ruin it (not that they would ve allowed it for safety) and since she didnt want pics to begin with I left everything else at home. In retrospect, I ought to have taken the 17-55 for some wide angle shots up closer to the stage. Even at the back of the theatre about as wide a coverage as I could manage is depicted in #5. As for all the black and white....and exposure settings....well...ALWAYS expose for the highlights!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I think you did a wonderful job with this set.

The DW and I went to this show when it came throught Albuquerque some 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the cast was different then :D

Ha....we were ALL different then....and none of these nuns were around!rolleyes1.gif