Esthwaite Water, Lake District

Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Landscapes
I was in the Lake District last weekend staying in Hawkshead. The weather was a little hit and miss, but I managed to drag myself out of bed at 5:30am one morning to be rewarded with this lovely sunrise over Esthwaite Water.

This is an 8 shot stitched panorama, each shot being an HDR shot from 3 bracketed shots, that's 24 shots in total! Check out the fish rising near to the duck in the foreground, they were going mad that morning.

853417612_6yhgX-X3.jpg

Comments

• newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Thats awesome! Good work!
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • The StigThe Stig Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Thats a amazing shot, well done
  • The StigThe Stig Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    P.s Did you HDR the images first then stitch or stitch then HDR the entire images in one go ;p, i think my pc will melt if i try this, also, can you give us the cameras date ISO, aperture and shutter speed please ;p
  • kevincaophotographykevincaophotography Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Great shot...love the mist rolling over the water. Definitely worth the early wake-up!
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Great shot...love the mist rolling over the water. Definitely worth the early wake-up!
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    This is very nicely done! When I opened the thread my browser window wasn't set large enough to display the entire image and I thought what I initially saw was great! Then I realized that I needed to expand the window to see the entire image.

I actually preferred the pano the way I initially saw it.....with the right 1/5 of the image cropped out. The far right bush and weeds (in my subjective opinion) detracts from the main subject of the photo, which I believe are the trees, mist, and sunrise. My eye keeps wandering over to the bush and weeds, but when I view the photo without them, my eye stays with the main subject and I enjoy the photo better.

Then I thought maybe the photo would look even better with the tree on the left cropped out, but no, I like the tree trunks....it anchors the left of the photo and provides some foreground.

In any case, it's a wonderful pano and your efforts really paid off.
  • rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    wow ! great pano thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Many thanks for your comments all.:D

Stig, I set the camera up for the brightest part of the scene to make sure I didn't blow out the sun rise. This came out as 1/10th of a second at F11, ISO 100, 52mm on my Nikon D80. Each shot was bracketed two stops either side of this and I kept the settings the same for each part of the scene to make sure it gave a consistent exposure across the image. (removed the polarising filter too).

I HDR'd each of the bracketed shots first, again finding one setting for the sunrise part of the scene and leaving the settings the same across all parts. Then stitched it all together in Panorama Factory and adjusted the final image for levels in photoshop. I've just spotted some dust spots, so will need to fix them at some stage. The original file is 1.2m long at 300dpi...

Trey, you have a very valid point. I've done the same thing with different parts of the image, and to be honest I could probably produce 3-4 successful crops.

Thanks for looking all.

Chris
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Hi Chris, great shot, well worth the effort.

Cheers, Richard.