HELP! 1st time sports event-need proof help!

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited May 14, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi all! Here's a little background--my child is a swimmer. Our local swim club is currently at the YMCA, however, we've received a grant to build an aquatic center, but have to raise $4000.00 in 5 weeks. We've already gotten over $2000.00 and I was asked to do photos as a fundraiser. Okay, no prob... but, I don't normally shoot events. Much research went into posing swimmers, etc. Thursday night I got all of the individual shots and finished processing this a.m. Herein lies the issue... proofs... My current print lab doesn't have what I'm looking for and I've "googled" myself too death. When my child has school photos made, I get an 9x10 envelope with the actual PROOFS printed on the envelope along with the photo packages and prices. WHERE can I find this type of proof envelope? I did find one company at PicturePackages.com, but can't get any response. Because this is a fund raiser, and I donated my time and expertise, time and cost are of the essence... Any help is greatly appreciated!

MODS-if this should go in a different category, please move immediately!!!
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Hi all! Here's a little background--my child is a swimmer. Our local swim club is currently at the YMCA, however, we've received a grant to build an aquatic center, but have to raise $4000.00 in 5 weeks. We've already gotten over $2000.00 and I was asked to do photos as a fundraiser. Okay, no prob... but, I don't normally shoot events. Much research went into posing swimmers, etc. Thursday night I got all of the individual shots and finished processing this a.m. Herein lies the issue... proofs... My current print lab doesn't have what I'm looking for and I've "googled" myself too death. When my child has school photos made, I get an 9x10 envelope with the actual PROOFS printed on the envelope along with the photo packages and prices. WHERE can I find this type of proof envelope? I did find one company at PicturePackages.com, but can't get any response. Because this is a fund raiser, and I donated my time and expertise, time and cost are of the essence... Any help is greatly appreciated!

MODS-if this should go in a different category, please move immediately!!!

No Option or desire for Online Proofing?
    tom wise
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    No Option or desire for Online Proofing?

I thought of that, too. In fact, I think that is going to be the best option, however, I don't know the socioeconomic status of several of these kids... so I'm thinking I will talk to the coach, take my laptop and set a date for all parents to come view and order??? Thoughts??
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I thought of that, too. In fact, I think that is going to be the best option, however, I don't know the socioeconomic status of several of these kids... so I'm thinking I will talk to the coach, take my laptop and set a date for all parents to come view and order??? Thoughts??

I think that is a wonderful idea. The only other thought would be to perhaps have a few printed examples from SM to show as well. I think using the Website as a proofing mechanism is the way to go.

cheers,
    tom wise
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    If you have a Costco nearby, you can get coupons for 50 or 100 4x6 prints FREE, with a little searching. that's what we did with a lower-income daycare we shot for Christmas. I do like your idea of proofing meetings - more time spent but your sales will be MUCH higher.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
    edited May 11, 2010
    Hi all!!

First, thank you for so many great ideas! Here's what I ended up doing and it only cost $26.10...

I made a template in PS4 (similar to the templates I use for scrapbooking) and picked the top 3 photos for each child... then, it took about 3 hours, but I got each one on a separate sheet with pricing info and had them printed at FedEx Office... full color!

Our banquet is tonight and I'm setting up a "viewing/ordering" table---then, they'll have their order sheet with printed proofs and can see the other shots and place their orders at that time.

I'm hoping it goes off like gang-busters! I'll keep you all posted...
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Cool! Took a lot of time, and in the future you may spend a bit more money but almost no time by ordering proof sheets from various printers but it looks like it worked out for you! :)

Just keep in mind, don't give TOO many choices, or they won't make a decision! :)

Oh, and looks like you are another "migrator" from photoenthusiast (I just realized that). Nice site, i wish it was busier!
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
    edited May 14, 2010
    Cool! Took a lot of time, and in the future you may spend a bit more money but almost no time by ordering proof sheets from various printers but it looks like it worked out for you! :)

Just keep in mind, don't give TOO many choices, or they won't make a decision! :)

Oh, and looks like you are another "migrator" from photoenthusiast (I just realized that). Nice site, i wish it was busier!

Thanks for the info re proof sheets---we're trying desperately to keep cost LOW---we're trying to get a new aquatic center... cost $6 million!! So, this actually worked out well and the orders are pouring in!!!! Whoo-Hoo!!!

Yes... I was actually here before Photoenthusiast... I was just too embarrassed to post here much... I loved photoenthusiast but didn't find that I was learning much... So... here I am... LURKING daily, learning often and posting occasionally!!!!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn