• Options
    OnionOnion Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I love that second pic.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Five excellent face shots.

I lean toward head shots where the subject is not looking at the camera -- in fact, I usually do not snap it when they do. Do you have a preference?
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Five excellent face shots.

I lean toward head shots where the subject is not looking at the camera -- in fact, I usually do not snap it when they do. Do you have a preference?

I'm not bothered by eye contact in these types of shots, but not in story-telling images. No breaking the fourth wall.

Head shots seem to be a byproduct of my style street shooting and I've noticed two patterns. The first is when I'm walking slowly in an area where I stand out from the setting. It's not uncommon that people will begin teasing each other by suggesting that I take a shot of this person or that. I'll invariably point my camera back at the teasing person and they have a good laugh and a little more ribbing. The second is if I've staked a spot and settled in for a short while. Occasionally someone will notice and approach me or try to see what I'm seeing. I'll usually point my camera at them and nod in a way that says, OK?

But at the end of it, if someone acquiesces to a portrait, I'll get in close and take a shot sharing it with them immediately off the camera. So I've tried to embrace head shots and make them something interesting.
  • Options
    kalyekalye Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Nice portraits! IMHO, last pic would have been nice if the eyes were not obstructed by the glasses.
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I like #4. Good candid!