Introduction

donaldseyedonaldseye Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 2, 2010 in People
I thought if I am going to hang around here, then I might as well introduce myself ;-). My name is Donald McKillican and I am an amateur photographer. I have taken pictures for more years than I care to remember, but I made the jump to off-camera lighting about two and a half years ago. I presently use a Nikon D90, a Nikkor 18-200 VRII lens, and about six flashes and other assorted modifiers. My favourite genres are fashion, portrait and event photography, but I dabble in other areas as the light catches my eye ;-).

The attached pictures are from a shoot called "Soft and Wild" that I did a couple of months ago with Ava, one of my favourite models. The shoot was in two parts; these are from the "Soft" one. C&C is of course welcome :-).

853693201_MLoNM-L.jpg

853695216_agnUG-L.jpg

853696227_MyWd4-L.jpg

Cheers!
Donald McKillican
http://donaldseye.smugmug.com/

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Welcome and thanks for posting these.

The first seems a bit underexposed. The WB also seems off on these. Was that your intent?
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I'm not loving the pinkish tint, but I do like the last pose. You captured her eyes well in that shot.
  • donaldseyedonaldseye Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Welcome and thanks for posting these.

The first seems a bit underexposed. The WB also seems off on these. Was that your intent?

I wouldn't say underexposed... but I would say underlit. The only illumination for this set was the light coming in from the window to camera right, plus a reflector on camera right. For a lot of the pictures that was completely enough, but the sun was in and out of clouds for part of it, and the first picture in particular could definitely have benefited from another reflector sending some more light back to her face.

The white balance was deliberate, yes: Ava and I spent some time adjusting it until we both agreed on the result you see. But clearly that's not to everyone's taste ;-), and it is exactly to get that kind of insight that I am here :-), so thank you kindly for your feedback!

Donald
  • donaldseyedonaldseye Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2010
    I'm not loving the pinkish tint, but I do like the last pose. You captured her eyes well in that shot.

I notice there are links in the sticky threads to some discussions about skin tone -- from your comment and Mitchell's it would appear I should be at the reading of them :-). The last pose was our mutual favourite, and Ava was using it as her avatar on ModelMayhem for some time afterward.

Thanks!
    Donald