Lens suggestions

lakeside22lakeside22 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 4, 2010 in Cameras
Ok, So I'm fairly new to photography but am now ready to move on to buying a new lens. My funds are fairly limited. I have a Canon 40D and take a lot of sports shots and portraits. What are your suggestions? Do I stick to Canon? What are your thoughts on Tamron and Sigma? Someone suggested Tamron 18-270 lens. I definitely can afford this lens. Is there anyone out there with experience with this lens? What do you think? Any help is appriciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I have used an all in one lens for portraits...they don't move so focus acquisition speed is not so critical......but for sports no 18-200+ lens is going to be good........you said a Tammy 18-270 is in budget.....what is your budget limit.....You really don't need to post it.......it for you to make your decision from.........for portraits and wildlife and weddings I use 18-70, 18-200 and 70-200f2,8 with 70-200 I can shoot great portraits, weddings, wildlife and also sports.....I also have a 50-500 that is a wildlife lens too slow for weddings or sports.......
    So for what you said you are shooting I will suggest 2 lenses both Sigma (I have shot Sigmas for over 25 yrs)..........17-70f2.8-4 & 70-200f2.8 .......

Another thing to ask yourself.......is this strictly a hobby and I am shooting for stricly my pleasure......or I am here to turn this into a business, that has a lot to do with what lenses to buy..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sparky675sparky675 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    buy the best you can afford, i had others but bought a canon 70-200 2.8 non is , used off another photo site, for sports it is awesome, i understand budget, the sigma 70-200 is good, sometimes goes through focus hunts, but when it is on is very sharp, good luck