Garage at dusk

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in People
Had a formal affair last night and grabbed a few of the kids in the waning light of my garage. I don't normally shoot this late for this technique.

853757956_j9dxo-XL.jpg

853750700_7vYGV-XL.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Nice. Is the hairlight in the first just a tungsten light back there giving it an orange glow? Works well with her hair.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Beautiful, as always. I really love the warmth in the first one.

Caroline
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nice. Is the hairlight in the first just a tungsten light back there giving it an orange glow? Works well with her hair.

Good eye, Andrew.

When I saw that hairlight, I had to think for a few minutes. It is the light in my garage door opener which goes out after 2 minutes. It's only there in my first few shots.

This whole garage thing is so ghetto!!ne_nau.gif
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Wow. Really nice. Can I borrow your garage sometime?
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Good eye, Andrew.

When I saw that hairlight, I had to think for a few minutes. It is the light in my garage door opener which goes out after 2 minutes. It's only there in my first few shots.

Love it when good things happen like that!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Ghetto.... GHETTO? I covet your garage. I WANT your garage. I drive past garages in my neighbourhood and think, "If I lived there, I could try to be Mitchell when I grow up"!!!!!!!!!!!

Srsly.

I will never know how you get eyes as sharp as you do when shooting shallow, but it always just floors me bowdown.gifbow

Miss Steph is looking terribly grownup these days - how old is she now?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Ghetto - maybe. But, it's not what you have for tools to work with, but how you work with the tools you have. These, as usual, are wonderful.

And, I 15524779-Ti.gif with MG ... your children are really looking grown up here, especially Steph.
    edited May 3, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Ghetto.... GHETTO? I covet your garage. I WANT your garage. I drive past garages in my neighbourhood and think, "If I lived there, I could try to be Mitchell when I grow up"!!!!!!!!!!!

Srsly.

I will never know how you get eyes as sharp as you do when shooting shallow, but it always just floors me bowdown.gifbow

Miss Steph is looking terribly grownup these days - how old is she now?

Thanks, DM!

I can't really explain the sharpness of the eyes in these garage photos. These were shot at f2.8 (I usually shoot at f4) with my 85mm, f1.4 lens which is very sharp. I just make certain to put the focus reticle directly on one of the eyes. No PP on the eyes for these.ne_nau.gif
    edited May 3, 2010
    Ghetto - maybe. But, it's not what you have for tools to work with, but how you work with the tools you have. These, as usual, are wonderful.

And, I 15524779-Ti.gif with MG ... your children are really looking grown up here, especially Steph.

Thanks, Scott.

I've got a closet full of strobe gear, and I do my best portraits in a dirty garage with a hairlight filtered through a 20 year old garage door opener?headscratch.gif

Stefanie will turn 15 next month. I can't believe it. She's grown up right here on dgrin.
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Nobody knows it's ghetto when they are looking at the photos! Great pics and the light is wonderful! :D
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    You are the master of garage lighting. Just the mention of garage lighting brings all the beautiful shots you have shared to mind. Another great set of your beautiful children.

Pass along Happy Birthday Wishes to Stephanie. My oldest son just turned 17 lst month and like you, where did the years go. clap.gif
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
    edited May 4, 2010
    rhondavid wrote: »
    You are the master of garage lighting. Just the mention of garage lighting brings all the beautiful shots you have shared to mind. Another great set of your beautiful children.

Pass along Happy Birthday Wishes to Stephanie. My oldest son just turned 17 lst month and like you, where did the years go. clap.gif

David, thanks again for your kind words. How did these kids get so old.