Sunflower in a Storm

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited May 5, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I've been going through old photos looking for some to re-edit. This one is from 2008, and I had originally processed in Picasa. This new version was edited in Photoshop Elements.

p908832765-4.jpg
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Very nice sense of movement in the background.
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I also using picasa and photoshop I am passionate about photography and creativity . I like this edited picture your colour combination sense is appreciable and lighting features maintained perfectly.
    Thank you Veronica and welcome to DGrin. I stopped using Picasa for processing more than a year ago, but I still use it to keep my photo-library organized.

The other reason I am re-processing photos is that my monitor wasn't calibrated back then.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited May 4, 2010
    Allan FG wrote: »
    Very nice sense of movement in the background.
    Thank you, Allan. In hindsight, I think I should have pressed the shutter when the subject wasn't so vertical. The background kind of makes up for the lack of movement in the subject (same goes for the petals), but still.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    My favorite flower of all time!
    This is a wonderful portrait of a beautiful flower--well done and the processing is fantastic.

I would be curious to see your old Picassa processed version too--but I know it's a pain sometimes to find it etc.

Either way--really enjoyed this shot, just makes me happy to look at it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Really nice job. Very nice natural colors and detail. I like the flow of the petals and background elements. There is some noise but I think it adds to the effect of this particular image. Very nice indeed!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I think its lovely. Like the way the flower peddles are going with the wind.
    Not sure about the OOF details in upper right quarter. Hmmm... not that
    overtly distracting I guess. I could learn to love it still. :D:D:D
    Michael
    edited May 4, 2010
    My favorite flower of all time!
    This is a wonderful portrait of a beautiful flower--well done and the processing is fantastic.

I would be curious to see your old Picassa processed version too--but I know it's a pain sometimes to find it etc.

Either way--really enjoyed this shot, just makes me happy to look at it.
    Thank you, Liz! Sunflowers rock.

Here's the original version processed in Picasa in 2008:

p198371829-4.jpg

I don't even know how I darkened the sky back then, or even how I turned the yellow stuff in the background into green. Oh well...

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited May 4, 2010
    wendell wrote: »
    Really nice job. Very nice natural colors and detail. I like the flow of the petals and background elements. There is some noise but I think it adds to the effect of this particular image. Very nice indeed!
    Thank you wendell, much appreciated. The grain was actually added in post (as can be verified by looking at the original edit above). The grain looks much better when not compressed for web (I don't like it much here, to be honest).

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited May 4, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    I think its lovely. Like the way the flower peddles are going with the wind.
    Not sure about the OOF details in upper right quarter. Hmmm... not that
    overtly distracting I guess. I could learn to love it still. :D:D:D
    Thank you, Daddy! I was just writing on another forum that I wished I had used a slightly smaller aperture... but I can live with the background as is. (I don't have an option... this flower is already dead! :D)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Federico,
    Thanks for taking the time to post the other shot.
    I have to say, I really like what you did with Picassa! The sky looks much better in the original IMO (I get more of a sense of an impending storm with this version). Either way, both versions are very good and very pleasing.
    Liz A.
    _________