In search of a high end scanner

BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Hello All,

I am currently in search of a scanner which can scan slides/neg. and also sheet feed legal sized documents.

Cost is not much of an issue (obviously within reason)

What is of issue is jamming. Many of the slide scanners which have auto feed have reviews which state that they jam regularly. Obviously some of the negative reviews are probably from people who improperly loaded the slides/negatives.

I am open to any and all ideas you all may have for my next scanner.

Thanks in advance!:thumb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 2, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum.

I'm afraid that I can't help much with the issue of automated feed as I don't have a scanner with that feature.

It is my understanding that if you want the best automated feed for slides, negative strips, negative rolls, and opaque sheets (prints and paper), you would be looking at 2 different types of scanners, i.e. a flatbed scanner with a feeder "and" a high-end dedicated film scanner, like the Nikon Super COOLSCAN 5000 ED with an optional slide feeder SF210, for up to 50 mounted slides, and an optional roll film adapter SA-30 for up to 40 frames on an uncut roll of 35mm film.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• scanmanscanman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2010
    Slide scanner needed
    I am also looking for a scanner with a feeder as I have many years of slides i need to bring into the digital age. The Nikon coolscan 5000 has been discontinued. Help!!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 3, 2010
    scanman wrote: »
    I am also looking for a scanner with a feeder as I have many years of slides i need to bring into the digital age. The Nikon coolscan 5000 has been discontinued. Help!!

Yes, the Nikon Super COOLSCAN 5000 ED has been discontinued, but I still see a fair number selling for new at high prices, and a fair number of used as well. I suggest that a good used scanner from a reputable source is probably the way to go if you really need one. The auto feeder is going to possibly be the harder thing to get as I never did see too many sources for that.

They are high quality film scanners so if you really do need one I wouldn't wait too long as they will get scarfed up pretty quickly.

I am using an Epson Perfection V500 to do some basic scanning of both cut 35mm film strips and slides. It's plenty for medium res scanning and it has Digital ICE to help with dust and scratches.

I suppose that I could use a drum scanner service for anything truly memorable, but the truth is nothing I shot in 35mm is all that great. I do have a few medium format slides and film that has more promise, but even those are more nostalgic value than anything else, and the V500 does better with medium format too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums