Construction Worker

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in People
I was at a construction site the other day, where they are demolishing an old bridge, so they can build a new one. I was shooting the action on the bridge, and something told me to turn around, and when I did, there was this guy up on top of a flat bed truck, leaning over a 55 gallon drum of water, which worked as a reflector. I thought this looked interesting, so I took a shot. What does everyone think? Keeper or toss? As always C&C welcomed!

853922923_2sv2d-L.jpg
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    This makes me want to go out and get a 55 gallon of water reflector!
    Great timing, love the relaxed smile on his face.
    Bet he would love this photo.clap.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    This makes me want to go out and get a 55 gallon of water reflector!
    Great timing, love the relaxed smile on his face.
    Bet he would love this photo.clap.gif

Thanks for looking and commenting Liz! As for the water reflector, I'd imagine that if you went out after a good rain, and found a spot where there was standing water, and the sun was out, it would work as a reflector as well. It would depend on where the sun is in the sky as to where to place your subject to get the free reflector. :D

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Like the processing a lot here. Nicely captured.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    A KEEPER for sure, great capture. Good job there!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • JheyerckJheyerck Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Great work. From a family who has many men construction workers and this depicts how hard they work IMO. I think its definitely a keeper. NICE WORK! thumb.gif
    -Jessica♥, Learning
    edited May 3, 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone! As for the processing, it was straight from the camera, with only a little bump in contrast. I had posted other photos in Other Cool Shots in this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=166407 . I wasn't sure if they would fit in People, so I opted for Other Cool Shots. If you guys would like to see them over here, let me know and I'll post a few, otherwise, you can veiw all of them HERE !

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Sachis2112Sachis2112 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I love the colors! Also, yes, I think I will go do portraits by water now... rolleyes1.gif
    ~Sachi
    Flickr
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Whatever you call it, industrial portrait, accidental portrait, or casual portrait, it is definitely a keeper. Good eye to see it and nice shot to capture it.
    edited May 5, 2010
    Thanks for the kind comments. I had fun that day while watching and shooting these guys hard at work. Like I stated in my OP, I worked for a construction company that built bridges during my summers off from school, with my dad. For those interested, here is a shot of this guy doing his thing. If you look closely around his feet, there is water again acting as a reflector. :D

852525114_frTRG-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I like the shot, but I'm going to be the odd one out and say I don't really care for the colors. I think it is the red on his face that doesn't work for me. The red on the sides of his face could be natural, but the red around his nose looks 'too much' for me ne_nau.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    I like the shot, but I'm going to be the odd one out and say I don't really care for the colors. I think it is the red on his face that doesn't work for me. The red on the sides of his face could be natural, but the red around his nose looks 'too much' for me ne_nau.gif

I'm back and I agree--I thought maybe the contrast was boosted a smidge much.
    Nonetheless I've developed an unhealthy crush on your subject!
    Really great capture:D.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Nonetheless I've developed an unhealthy crush on your subject!
    lol3.gif