*ENTRY* Thread DSS #50 (S-Curve or Golden Spiral)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited May 17, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #50

Welcome to Round #50 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, May 3rd, 8:00am, PST time (GMT -7) to Monday, May 17th, 08:00am, PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: S-Curve or Golden Spiral

Good composition is a key element in achieving compelling photography. Both the S-Curve and the Golden Spiral sometimes called, the Fibonacci spiral, are tools that can be used in composition that are very powerful in how we react to them. Choose which one to shoot and show us your interpretation of how an S-Curve or Spiral can push your image from good to great!

References:
S-Curve
Golden Spiral
also

P.S. This rounds S-Curve is not to be confused with the most common Photoshop curves shape.

Your Judges:
DeuceFour: (Winner of Round 47)
Guest Judge: bf2015

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Wooow... what a wonderful theme!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    P.S. This rounds S-Curve is not to be confused with the most common Photoshop curves shape.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I'm off to catch a Nautilus

Edit: The nautilus shell presents one of the finest natural examples of a logarithmic spiral, although it is not a golden spiral.

Thanks Wikipedia. Thanks for ruining my joke.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I'm off to catch a Nautilus

Edit: The nautilus shell presents one of the finest natural examples of a logarithmic spiral, although it is not a golden spiral.

Thanks Wikipedia. Thanks for ruining my joke.

It's close enough thumb.gif
    edited May 3, 2010
    BTW: will fractal art be allowed on the contest?

I'm afraid that if you say yes, this will be transformed into a fractal art gallery...:D
    Travelways.com
    edited May 3, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »

I'm afraid that if you say yes, this will be transformed into a fractal art gallery...:D

YES & NO
    If it is computer generated then no.
    If you use your artistic skills to manufacture some physical 3D fractal art and take a photo of it using your camera, then yes.
    edited May 3, 2010

sherstone wrote: »
    YES & NO
    If it is computer generated then no.
    If you use your artistic skills to manufacture some physical 3D fractal art and take a photo of it using your camera, then yes.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are only computer generated images.

Good - Thank you thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Yeah, I would like to see more SOOC challenges. mwink.gif Helps out those of us who are not wizards with PP.
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    edited May 3, 2010

Nature is full of fractals. :encore
    flowers, shells, plants, etc... not all are based on the golden spiral but many are.
    edited May 3, 2010

Good - Thank you thumb.gif
    Nature is full of fractals. :encore
    flowers, shells, plants, etc... not all are based on the golden spiral but many are.

Sure it is, and they are so much beautiful than any computer generated image - only that those images seem to
    be fun. I'm totally for photography and less for digital imaging, as I always said.

* My entry to the last contest was part because of fun, but mostly because of getting blocked on the first time
    using a macro lens... which, BTW I'd like to know how to use it properly for this new contest... :D

PS: that's why I was so enthusiastic when I saw the theme :)

PS2: I just took lots of them yesterday, trying the macro lens again, but also the regular telephoto... :encore
    Travelways.com
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Oooh yeah!!! I see what you mean Sean. I've done mine already then lol
    Hubby preferred my portrait crop. I preferred the landscape :D
    Can I use the same file as I used for "WTH is that?"
    I actually took a few shots so I will use another one if necessary thumb.gif

I'm gonna answer my own question now lol
    No I can't because it was shot today at 6:30am PST time :(
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

edited May 3, 2010
    MrsCue wrote: »
    Oooh yeah!!! I see what you mean Sean. I've done mine already then lol
    Hubby preferred my portrait crop. I preferred the landscape :D
    Can I use the same file as I used for "WTH is that?"
    I actually took a few shots so I will use another one if necessary thumb.gif

Remember the "fresh" date deal.gifmwink.gif
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    As a tool to help in the evaluation/cropping of your images in Photoshop, linked are two PDF files in a .zip archive.

Use the File/Place command to bring the black or white golden spiral into Photoshop to use as a template. The file is vector and can be resized as you like. The place command will bring this in as a Smart Object layer in later versions of Photoshop.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1442567/Golden-Spirals/Golden-Spirals.zip

Hope this helps!

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Remember the "fresh" date deal.gifmwink.gif

I'll have to buy some more because we've eaten them all lol
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 4, 2010
    OMGosh! That Golden Spiral link gave me a headache trying to follow what they are saying! I followed all their links and it was like being hit upside the head with a math book!!!headscratch.gif
    Although I am a visual person who likes to see pictures to get a clue.rolleyes1.gifAnd I think I might have have just a tad bit of clue.thumb.gif

Sean you keep this up and your going to stretch my mind beyond elasticity!:D
    edited May 4, 2010
    Granted the link was kind of cerebral vs. visual. I was trying an experiment and using reference links as much as possible from what is already available elsewhere on DGrin.

Math aside the spiral part is pretty simple to use compositionally, and is actually close to the rule of thirds in rough practice.

For fun I did another search on the big G, using the search words below
    spiral composition photography
    This thread is already on page three of the results. eek7.gif

EDIT: make that page one now!
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    OMGosh! That Golden Spiral link gave me a headache trying to follow what they are saying! I followed all their links and it was like being hit upside the head with a math book!!!headscratch.gif

15524779-Ti.gif completely!

When I was in school (for architecture) we referred to it as the Golden Section, but the principle remains the same. This page shows the Golden Spiral and seems a bit easier to wrap my head around, perhaps it'll be a bit easier for us visual folks! :D

The article mentions Vitruvius as the originator of the concept, however it was in use long before he came along, most specifically in Ancient Greek architecture. Now if only I could book a trip to Greece before the end of the challenge I'd be all set!! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    Although I am a visual person who likes to see pictures to get a clue.rolleyes1.gifAnd I think I might have have just a tad bit of clue.thumb.gif

Sean you keep this up and your going to stretch my mind beyond elasticity!:D

headscratch.gif Whew... I was afraid it was just me!!
    I think I am getting the idea though. thumb.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    headscratch.gif Whew... I was afraid it was just me!!
    I think I am getting the idea though. thumb.gif
    Hi Donna
    good to see you hangin round again.clap.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hi Donna, nice to hear from you again wave.gif

I like your new avatar :D
    Travelways.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif completely!

When I was in school (for architecture) we referred to it as the Golden Section, but the principle remains the same. This page shows the Golden Spiral and seems a bit easier to wrap my head around, perhaps it'll be a bit easier for us visual folks! :D

The article mentions Vitruvius as the originator of the concept, however it was in use long before he came along, most specifically in Ancient Greek architecture. Now if only I could book a trip to Greece before the end of the challenge I'd be all set!! rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif--yeay it's not just me--my eyes quickly glazed over and I may have started drooling. Ok I must go re-read.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Hi Donna
    good to see you hangin round again.clap.gif
    Hi Donna, nice to hear from you again wave.gif

I like your new avatar :D

Thanks both of you! I've been watching and trying to find the time to get going here again. I just keep waiting for that inspiration to hit.ne_nau.gif Just glad I didn't attempt this last one, whew. Great work everyone has been doing.
    I was out shooting some and had this in my mind. Maybe something will click.
    edited May 5, 2010
    For those of you having trouble getting past the math...
    Here is a much richer visual representation.

Just remember that you do have a choice of which theme you shoot, if your still confused. mwink.gif
  • CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010

Just remember that you do have a choice of which theme you shoot, if your still confused. mwink.gif

Yes, I am much less confused now! eek7.gif
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010

What a gorgeous visual description of the golden spiral!!! I personally love this method of composition and appreciate the opportunity to really focus on it for the next 2 weeks as I look for subjects to shoot.
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Yes, I am much less confused now! eek7.gif

I recommend shooting S-Curves then. rolleyes1.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010

that was exciting... gonna have to show the kids that one!
    Aaron Nelson
  • BSGreenBSGreen Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Sounds like a fun and interesting theme. Thanks for all the Golden Spiral links and explanations everyone - was ready to go and take a picture of a stretched gold Slinky :D
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Hi! Just a quick question....in terms of the Golden Spiral, is the goal to capture a photo that clearly shows a spiral shape or is the goal to capture a photo in which the elements are arranged according to the rule of the Golden Spiral?
    edited May 6, 2010
    Hi! Just a quick question....in terms of the Golden Spiral, is the goal to capture a photo that clearly shows a spiral shape or is the goal to capture a photo in which the elements are arranged according to the rule of the Golden Spiral?

He, he,... I was about to ask the same thing :D
    ... but I'm afraid that the second version of the golden spiral, may be less obvious to the judges...ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com