Possible new side job and not sure what to expect

ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Let me give you a little history. My wife bought me a Rebel XSi at my request for my birthday in January. I have been doing quite a bit of shooting at events around my area. I ran into a guy who is a movie producer and he likes my work. He has asked if I would be interested in shooting some shots at a movie set for him. I am assuming he minds a "behind the scenes" kind of thing. I have never done anything like that before and wanted to see if anyone else here has ever heard of or done something like that.

I am totally down to do it just want to make sure I am capable.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    only you know if you're capable..............shoot it just likne any other event that you might shoot that you have absolutely no control over the flow of events
    Stay quiet...very, very, very quiet........move about very cautiously......it is not uncommon for a producer or director to want still captured while producing a movie.
    yes there are several movie cams capable of producing very good stills but those shoots are the exact same angle as the movie is shot from.
    be creative..go low get high.....go low.......be sure to have a fast long zoom (70-200) and a nice wide to med tele zoom as fast as you can get.......You're gonna
    want to get some wide stuff and also some really in your face expressions....there will be no time for lens changing so you need 2 bodies with lenses attached,
    borrow a body or rent body and lenses if you do not own what is needed........you will not be able to use flash as that will kill the movie shot, that is why you need fast glass.....
    as i said rent it......this could be an oppurtunity to start a big time movie studio career......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    ckaspar wrote: »
    Let me give you a little history. My wife bought me a Rebel XSi at my request for my birthday in January. I have been doing quite a bit of shooting at events around my area. I ran into a guy who is a movie producer and he likes my work. He has asked if I would be interested in shooting some shots at a movie set for him. I am assuming he minds a "behind the scenes" kind of thing. I have never done anything like that before and wanted to see if anyone else here has ever heard of or done something like that.

I am totally down to do it just want to make sure I am capable.

Any thoughts?

You're capable..he's seen your work. He approached you..You're capable. What you do not need to do is assume anything else. Clarify it with him as to what he wants or would like, shoot that and shoot more than that!

Sounds like fun!

To get an idea of what he might want, look at the special features aspects of movies you could rent. Lots of them show still-photogs lurking about or even overtly-about doing their thing~

Cheers,
    tom wise
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    And talk about money FIRST - because if you go too long, he'll assume you're doing it free. Never be ashamed to ask to be paid for your job!
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Thanks for the comments and support everyone.

My plan is to have at least 2 rigs there. One with a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS and a Canon 50mm 1.8 for now. Those will be the "stock" lenses. I will also have a few others in the bag just in case.

I am planning on talking with the guy in a few weeks to get more details on what he is looking for and I have done a search on "behind the scenes photos for movies" and already gotten some ideas there.

The best part is he told me he wants to pay me and will talk to me about that in our next conversation so I won't have to bring up the subject since he is already thinking in that direction.

Thanks for the tips guys. i will keep you posted.

One more note that is unrelated, I got a call from a totally different person about another job. He runs a blogging website about events in my area. He wants me to shoot photos for his site. Being new to the "making money" game I wanted to ask you guys how that usually works. Does he have a set price for a photo he wants or does he pay a flat fee for a day of shooting and he keeps the pics and uses what he wants or is it a combination of the two.

I apologize for all of the newb questions but as I said I have not been doing this for any real money and am just starting to get my feet wet, in what appears to be a pretty big way.