Latino Soldier

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
OK, all you veterans, who/where is this guy?

856225526_y9oHT-XL.jpg

I'll post some details about the shoot once y'all have identified the subject.
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    This guy is in DC. He is one of the figures on the Three Soldiers statue at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Spot on! This guy was intended to represent latino soldiers. He's carrying an M60 over his shoulder. I was hired by an architect working for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Foundation (and indirectly for the National Parks Service) to document the deteriorated condition of the finish (patina) on the sculpture before a major restoration project begins early this summer. It was a really cool assignment, and I had Park Rangers doing crowd control for me while I crawled all around the sculpture. It is very moving, the way tourists from all around the world become quietly respectful in the presence of this work. The sculptor, Frederick Hart, was incredibly talented.

Here's a photo my friend Vincent shot of me working. The whole gallery of images (watermarked - sorry) can be seen here.

857374780_YpHyJ-L.jpg
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    I recognized that fella immediately, because I spent a day on the Mall last month taking pics. It was a beautiful day (4/11), but I wound up wandering aimlessly like a tourist and snapping random photos, so I didn't get a lot of really good shots, except a few good close-ups of Lincoln and the Three Soldiers.

To be perfectly honest, I like the Three Soldiers as a monument to Vietnam vets better than the Wall. Knowing what the Wall represents, I love its concept, but the Three Soldiers captures the character of those who served better than the list of names on the Wall.

838378097_QgGJq-M.jpg

838383555_XhtGB-M.jpg

838383618_bmkPR-M.jpg

838383665_bNLDj-M.jpg

838383720_7cxwa-M.jpg
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    I racked my brain trying to remember where I had seen this before...and then I finally remembered, Harry from the Wildlife forum, posted this in the "Street/Pj" forum.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=165865

Thanks for sharing.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • concord977concord977 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I was at the same location around 2am on 4/23/10 and shot this photo.

858500674_3YMWS-XL.jpg

I got a few additional shots in the area:

845474230_NcQTs-XL-1.jpg

845473955_d4y69-XL-1.jpg

858500424_XCaVr-XL.jpg