dawn in florida

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 27, 2004 in Wildlife
i'm down in florida for a day and a half. i got up this morning early to see the sunrise, it was quite lovely, nothing like the breaking of a new day...there was also a crescent moon in view with the sun, i'm still working on those shots. i did not have benefit of a tripod, so these shots are all handheld with the sony f828 - the "un-tripod" camera if there ever was one! shot with my ir-modified sony f828, xnitecc1 color correction filter aboard. f/2 @ 1/10th second. no post processing - just resizing and a frame.

5129076-L.jpg

enjoy (the breaking of a new day) photography,

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004

Andy,
    I've looked at this photo several times, and everytime I see another little detail I like. I was looking at the sunrise so much the first time, I never noticed the foot path that winds its way to the person in the distance.

I also wondered about the little ripples in the water. Not sure if its just a breath of wind or what, but some pretty amazing detail for a 1/10 second, hand held shot (I assume you were sitting or something and braced your camera with your body in some way).

Thanks for continuing to share your great photos.
    Brad

hey brad thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting. yeah, i love that pathway, too. it's actually a sinuous seaweed path, left by the wave action... the ripples? those are clams or other such critters under the tidepool, letting out air bubbles. it was fasincating to watch.

regarding the 1/10th sec ? yes, i always have the camera braced against my body in that case.

thanks alot, again :D
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Nice capture of a lovely daily scene on the East Coast of the state. Seen it myself many, many times... Nothing like waking up on the beach to see that. I can remember as a teenager cruising to the beach at 4 am just to be there to catch that glow coming up over the horizon. Man, I need to do that some more!!

Anyhoo, great shot! Hope you enjoyed yourself while you were you here!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    to brad ....
    hey brad thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting. yeah, i love that pathway, too. it's actually a sinuous seaweed path, left by the wave action... the ripples? those are clams or other such critters under the tidepool, letting out air bubbles. it was fasincating to watch.

regarding the 1/10th sec ? yes, i always have the camera braced against my body in that case.

thanks alot, again :D
    edited June 25, 2004
    thanks wolf!
    Wolf wrote:
    Nice capture of a lovely daily scene on the East Coast of the state. Seen it myself many, many times... Nothing like waking up on the beach to see that. I can remember as a teenager cruising to the beach at 4 am just to be there to catch that glow coming up over the horizon. Man, I need to do that some more!!

Anyhoo, great shot! Hope you enjoyed yourself while you were you here!

this was some of the best light i've caught in a while. i was in florida for an uncle's funeral - well into his 80s and he went peacefully ... but the family gathered, and of course i took the opportunity mwink.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i did not have benefit of a tripod, so these shots are all handheld with the sony f828 - the "un-tripod" camera if there ever was one!

From The Imaging Resource:

The next time you're in your favorite hardware store, pick up a quarter-inch/20-thread bolt (the half-inch size is long enough) and a matching hex nut. You've spent about nine cents, so far. Find some string at home and tie one end to the bolt, trimming it about a foot longer than you are tall. Screw on the nut to hold the string and to prevent you from screwing the half-inch bolt through the camera body.

Screw the bolt into the tripod mount of your camera and let the string fall to the floor. Step on it and pull the camera up to your eye. Make sure the string is taught as you come up and put your weight on it when the camera is just about eye level. As you pull up, the counter force is just what you need to steady the camera when you press the shutter.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

The next time you're in your favorite hardware store, pick up a quarter-inch/20-thread bolt (the half-inch size is long enough) and a matching hex nut. You've spent about nine cents, so far. Find some string at home and tie one end to the bolt, trimming it about a foot longer than you are tall. Screw on the nut to hold the string and to prevent you from screwing the half-inch bolt through the camera body.

Screw the bolt into the tripod mount of your camera and let the string fall to the floor. Step on it and pull the camera up to your eye. Make sure the string is taught as you come up and put your weight on it when the camera is just about eye level. As you pull up, the counter force is just what you need to steady the camera when you press the shutter.

Thanks for the tip. I hate to carry a tripod anywhere I go, even if I know I'll need one. Don't ask why...I'm not sure either.

Dave
    edited June 25, 2004
    thanks - i use my neckstrap method ....
    DavidTO wrote:

it's described right here if you are interested!
    edited June 25, 2004
    re: neckstrap method
    andy wrote:

If I understand it, that would work with a camera that you frame through your LCD on the back of the camera, but I don't see how that would help me with my SLR viewfinder? Or am I just being thick?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 25, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    If I understand it, that would work with a camera that you frame through your LCD on the back of the camera, but I don't see how that would help me with my SLR viewfinder? Or am I just being thick?

it works well with a swivel camera like the sony 828 or 7x7 or most any camera with an atriculating lcd.

yeah, not good for the dslr ;)
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it works well with a swivel camera like the sony 828 or 7x7 or most any camera with an atriculating lcd.

yeah, not good for the dslr ;)
    Andy,
    Nice shot, as usual. I like the way you introduced some foreground interest into the shot. Here is a picture taken a few days ago at St. Simons Island, Georgia. My first attempt at a real sunrise picture. Not a real morning person :). It was worth the early wakeup I must say.

5532942-L.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited June 27, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Andy,
    Nice shot, as usual. I like the way you introduced some foreground interest into the shot. Here is a picture taken a few days ago at St. Simons Island, Georgia. My first attempt at a real sunrise picture. Not a real morning person :). It was worth the early wakeup I must say.

5532942-S.jpg

definitely worth it! perhaps you should rotate it some to level the horizon?

nice colors and curve !
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i'm down in florida for a day and a half. i got up this morning early to see the sunrise, it was quite lovely, nothing like the breaking of a new day....

enjoy (the breaking of a new day) photography,

Andy - how about sunsets also?lickout.gif - I am ambivalent about this image because of the suns flare - but the streaming light in the sky caught my eye and so I present it for criticism

5539366-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andy - how about sunsets also?lickout.gif - I am ambivalent about this image because of the suns flare - but the streaming light in the sky caught my eye and so I present it for criticism

5539366-S.jpg

i like the star effect, produced by the iris of the camera... on my cameras it usuallyhappens when i'm stopped all the way down so i'll shoot once that way and also i'll shoot some wide open.

your shot is lovely, though i'd like to see the foreground exposed a bit more...it's really really hard to do.

here's one of mine that came out quite nice at 16x20:

2285858-S.jpg
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

5539366-L.jpg
    Very interesting shot Pathfinder

The sky is powerful. I have shot a lot of sunrises and sun sets and have never had one look quite like this. It almost looks out of place, like it was added.
    edited June 27, 2004
    Now i have gone back and looked at it on my other comp. I was posting from my gaming machine and it is a bit dark. It looks more natural now. Wow the sun must have been bright. Be careful looking through your viewfinder in such bright light, its dangerous.
    edited June 27, 2004
    Since there are other sunrises here I thought i would post one I took this morning

5548220-L.jpg
    edited June 27, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    5548220-S.jpg

Wow. Love it. Did you have to mess with levels much to get that black in the clouds? Very dramatic and cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 27, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    5532942-S.jpg

After seeing Greaper's shot, I went back to look at this one. I agree with Andy about straightening out the horizon, and I also wonder if you might want to add a little more contrast? It sure helped Greaper's.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 27, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow. Love it. Did you have to mess with levels much to get that black in the clouds? Very dramatic and cool.
    No,not levels.

I always loved the effect I got from fuji velvia film, I found that if I do the following I get similar results from my digital:

Adjust the histogram so that it runs the full range from white to black. (ussually)

Increase saturation 20 percent

Increase contrast +6

I think it was the contrast that darkened the clouds a bit.

I ussualy shoot sunsets or sunrises 2/3 stops fast as I think it gives the colors a bit more pop.

I am glad you like it.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    After seeing Greaper's shot, I went back to look at this one. I agree with Andy about straightening out the horizon, and I also wonder if you might want to add a little more contrast? It sure helped Greaper's.
    Ok, how about this. Straightened, cropped and upped the constrast.

5544104-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited June 27, 2004
    two words:
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Ok, how about this. Straightened, cropped and upped the constrast.

5544104-M.jpg

suuu - weeeet!
    © shay stephens