Sports Lenses

crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited May 24, 2010 in Cameras
I am looking to upgrade to a new lens for taking photos of soccer and baseball. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

CRod

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    300/2.8, possibly the 400/2.8. :) (I used to own the Canon 300/2.8 and I always regret selling it).

What is your price point? Will this be a big profit producing lens for you? Do you need low-light ability?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    300/2.8, possibly the 400/2.8. :) (I used to own the Canon 300/2.8 and I always regret selling it).

What is your price point? Will this be a big profit producing lens for you? Do you need low-light ability?

I was looking to spend about $2K. I have been looking at the 200/2.8L with 1.4 extender. I am just affraid that it cover the full size soccer fields.
    edited May 4, 2010
    It probably would be fine, and give you both a 200/2.8 and a 300/4 combination. Another idea is the 300/4. And I've been thinking about renting the 100-400 lately. While it is not a fast lens I personally never shoot in low light anymore. And the zoom range is very convenient. And on that note, you might want to consider renting two or three lenses first, see what you think of your available options.
    A former sports shooter
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    The last question was a great one... the answer to your purchase decision lies in your use of it... are you a pro shooting for profit? Or is this for hobby use?

If it's hobby use, then you are only limited to your budget - whatever you are comfortable spending.. so buy the longest lens you can afford or want to afford.

If it's for business, then you gotta think about expense vs. extra profit. Do you really NEED to upgrade? Will spending $2000+ on a lens increase your revenues by $4000+? If you think so, then set a budget....

So what's your budget?
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    whoa.. it took forever for my reply to post... weird.

I'd say go with the fastest/longest lens you can afford.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    200mm is too short on a full sized soccer field.

I shoot soccer frequently with a 300mm, f2.8 lens. I will often put a 1.7TC on to capture the midfield action.

Do you shoot a cropped body or full frame?
    edited May 7, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »

I shoot soccer frequently with a 300mm, f2.8 lens. I will often put a 1.7TC on to capture the midfield action.

Should I get an IS or a non-IS lens for shooting sports?
    edited May 9, 2010
    crodier66 wrote: »
    Should I get an IS or a non-IS lens for shooting sports?

IS does NOTHING for sports.
    A former sports shooter
    edited May 9, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    IS does NOTHING for sports.

Is the IS mainly used in low light situations?

Based upon my budget, I have narrowed my lense choices to either the 70mm-200mm/F2.8 (purchase the 1.4 TC); or the 28mm-300mm/F3.5-5.6. Is the focal range of the F2.8 become 280mm with the TC? I like the F2.8 70mm-20mm lens because I can also use for indoors and I like the 28mm-300mm/F3.5-5.6 because I could use also to team portaits without having to switch lenses. Can I also take team soccer portraits with the 70mm-200mm?

Thanks,

Chris
    edited May 11, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »

I am using a Canon Rebel right now and will be upgrading to the 7D shortly. Since I am taking photos of soccer on full size fields I am thinking about the 28mm-300mm/F3.5-5.6. However, I really like the 70mm-200mm/F2.8 IS because of low light situations. What are your thoughts on the 70mm-200m/F2.8 with the 1.4 TC?

Thanks,

Crod
    edited May 11, 2010
    I am using a Canon Rebel right now and will be upgrading to the 7D shortly. Since I am taking photos of soccer on full size fields I am thinking about the 28mm-300mm/F3.5-5.6. However, I really like the 70mm-200mm/F2.8 IS because of low light situations. What are your thoughts on the 70mm-200m/F2.8 with the 1.4 TC?

Thanks,

Crod

I don't think the 28-300 has a very good reputation (and a 10X optical zoom range just is not going to produce high quality images). You gotta ask yourself which is more important to you: convenience, or image quality.

The 70-200/2.8 with the 1.4TC is quite a good combination.
    A former sports shooter
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Is the IS mainly used in low light situations?

IS reduces blur due to camera shake, so it's for slow shutter speeds (which can be caused by low light situations, but is not exclusive to them). When shooting sports, your subjects are moving fast enough that they'll be blurry from their own movement any time you are at a low enough shutter speed for IS to kick in.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010

Thanks,

Crod

I shoot a lot of soccer and the 70-200 works for short distances (don't get tempted to shoot and crop...) and when I do use it, I really like being able to get the DOF that f/2.8 gives. And it does become valuable for evening shoots (ie high school soccer in the winter).

I used a version of the 28-300 for my 1st sports lens and found it wasn't long enough. Also, I would be wary of the image quality as Merc suggests with a 10x optical zoom range.

My main go-to lens for soccer is the 100-400. It is a variable f lens (like the 28-300), but it's got the reach that the 70-200 doesn't and it's reach is further than the 28-300.

What I would get if I had the extra $$ would be the sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and a 1.4 extender.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Some lenses to consider... 100-400L - great outdoors but the zoom mechanics are awkward.
    300mm f4L IS - IS does nothing for sports but this lens is affordable. I got mine for $800ish used. With a 1.4x you will still have f5.6 so focusing is still possible.
    The siggy 120-300 f2.8 is the most affordable 300mm 'fast' lens I know.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • final_alarmfinal_alarm Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010

Thanks,

Crod

I use the 70/200 F/2.8 L IS with and without(mostly without) a 2x extender for shooting baseball all the time. The results have been outstanding to say the least. That in combo with my 7D I'm a pretty happy camper for shooting sports. One thing to keep in mind with the extender on you really need a monopod or tripod when using the full zoom range. At 200mm hand holding has not been a problem for me as far as blurryness goes at 400mm it has from time to time.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    What kind of low light performance is acceptable for your needs?
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    If you do not have a 70-200 2.8 yet, that is the lens you need to get. There is no better choice. A big prime is just that, a big prime. You need to be at the right distance for it to be ideal. Think about what else will you use it for. You will use a 70-200 all the time. Even for portraits. Get a TC to get more distance if you find you really need it.
    edited May 24, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    If you do not have a 70-200 2.8 yet, that is the lens you need to get. There is no better choice. A big prime is just that, a big prime. You need to be at the right distance for it to be ideal. Think about what else will you use it for. You will use a 70-200 all the time. Even for portraits. Get a TC to get more distance if you find you really need it.

Is the new 70-200/2.8/IS II worth the extra money?

Thanks,

CRod
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 24, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    Some lenses to consider... 100-400L - great outdoors but the zoom mechanics are awkward.
    300mm f4L IS - IS does nothing for sports but this lens is affordable. I got mine for $800ish used. With a 1.4x you will still have f5.6 so focusing is still possible.
    The siggy 120-300 f2.8 is the most affordable 300mm 'fast' lens I know.

The Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is a great lens for sports. No IS, but for sports, that is not an issue. It is sharp too!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 24, 2010
    Is the new 70-200/2.8/IS II worth the extra money?

Thanks,

CRod

The new lens is an improvement, especially if you use a FF camera or if you need the newer IS. If you shoot with a Canon crop 1.6x camera body (a dRebel or xxD or 7D body) then you might not see as much improvement unless you really need the advanced IS.

I am still using the oldest EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS) and I'm still very pleased with its performance on all my bodies, crop 1.6x, crop 1.3x and FF. I also appreciate the 70-200mm, f4L IS USM as a travel lens. It's nice to have so many options.

Good reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_70-200_2p8_is_usm_ii_c16/

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/512-canon_70200_28is2_50d
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I am looking to upgrade to a new lens for taking photos of soccer and baseball. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

CRod

If you're shooting for hire, the 300/2.8 is absolutely killer for baseball.

2ndBase.JPG

Plant yourself near first base and shoot all the batters at home plate. This is also a good radius for plays at shortstop and 2nd, and right field. Make minor adjustments with your feet.

If you're just shooting your kids, it's overkill. For your own kids' sports, a 70-200/2.8 is the way to go.

I'm just renting this 300/2.8 for my little league job, I haven't used it for soccer. I imagine it would take some getting used to for soccer. I think it would get some amazing shots, but you would also miss a lot of action. I shot a soccer tournament with my 1DIIN and 100-400L and found the zoom to be very useful. I tried locking it at 300mm for a bit, and I quickly wanted to unlock it.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.