Empty Compliments

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited May 9, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm the official little league photographer in my town, and the season is now underway. I've rented a 300/2.8LIS and with my 1DIIN I'm getting some great shots. A D-list friend from town wrote me a message on facebook saying how awesome the photos are. I know she won't order any, because the same thing happened last year, AND she poached over my shoulder when I was taking her daughter's individual portrait. My mistake for shooting near the stands! Of course her photo will suck because she was using a p&s and didn't use fill flash, so her daughter's face will be lost in the shadows under her visor, but who cares, it's free, right? But I digress...

I'm sure I will bump into her around town and I'm sure she will say again how great the photos are. When that happens I'm very tempted to say "well they can't be very good... you didn't buy any!" Not in a mean way, just in a chiding way.

Anyone ever pull stunts like this with acquaintances or friends?
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Don't be so hard on her! She really likes your pictures and is paying you a compliment, she's just not ready to spend money on them. Maybe she has a tight budget, or is always behind on her bills or something.

Whatever her reasons, don't let them cloud the fact that your pictures are so good that she can't resist appreciating them!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    No, I know. It's just tempting to say something like that. I haven't (yet?).

But I'm not doing this just for compliments. I expect to be paid for my hard work. If I was just doing it for compliments and for fun as a pure dad-with-camera, I'd only shoot my son's team. I'm also trying to supplement my income and support my hobby here. I am busting my ass to cover all 50 teams myself.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I'm the official little league photographer in my town, and the season is now underway. I've rented a 300/2.8LIS and with my 1DIIN I'm getting some great shots. A D-list friend from town wrote me a message on facebook saying how awesome the photos are. I know she won't order any, because the same thing happened last year, AND she poached over my shoulder when I was taking her daughter's individual portrait. My mistake for shooting near the stands! Of course her photo will suck because she was using a p&s and didn't use fill flash, so her daughter's face will be lost in the shadows under her visor, but who cares, it's free, right? But I digress...

I'm sure I will bump into her around town and I'm sure she will say again how great the photos are. When that happens I'm very tempted to say "well they can't be very good... you didn't buy any!" Not in a mean way, just in a chiding way.

No. I usually give my friends gifts....photos, prints, whatever~

Acquaintances, or perhaps you mean potential customers? I try to be careful what I say to anyone. because whatever I say will reflect on me.
    I might be thinking, " oh you cheap turd", but I also try not to even think that way when around anyone, body language gives us away, eh?

As for FB and the like. I don't know...what if the gal blabs loud and clear about how you're the best photog around even though she doesn't buy anything...that'd be alright, right?
    tom wise
  • jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    You could use the opportunity to 'make a sale' by offering her a coupon on her order.....

Chris
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    yeah how about this:
    "I'm so glad you like them - and I know that you are singing my praises to others, too. Here's the code so you can get 50% off your first photo order, and here's a 20% code that you can give to people that you tell about my photos".

And next year, with your contract with your LL, put a clause in there that says that you are the only photographer allowed in the "team photo area"... that cameras other than yours are not allowed. Then enlist the help of a friend to "police" it. I assume you are giving a percentage of sales back to the LL, so if you (or your helper) explains, "I'm sorry, the league doesn't allow people other than the official photographer to shoot photos in this area - I'm sure you understand, since a portion of the proceeds go back to the LL to support the program". They can't argue or complain, because it uses the stupid LL montra: "Oh, it's for the kids". Laughing.gif
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
    edited May 4, 2010
    Good points about turning the situation into a sale with a coupon. Couldn't have done that last year, haha. However I think a 50% off coupon would put me in the red. I suppose it might be worth it as a marketing expense. I should re-state this is not a close friend. Like, just above an acquaintance. So I wouldn't be giving her flat out gifts anyway. Close friends, sure.

I do have exclusive rights to be the only photog on the field, but I don't enforce it for the individual portraits, because the parents could easily stage an almost identical shot in their backyard. Plus there's only been two incidents where I might have enforced it.
    -Jack

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I have a couple of thoughts here. While I understand where your comments are coming from. Try stepping back a little. The parents are under no obligation to buy anything. You are free lancing. How much money you have spent on equipment or how hard you work is irrelevant. It is up to you to provide a product, marketing, pricing, etc. that your market can't resist. The problem is not them, it's you.

The next time she complimented me I wouldn't have any problem with asking her for her help and opinion. Say something like thank you very much!
    Can I ask your opinion on something? I need your help here. While I truly love taking the photos. I do put in a lot of time and money to take them, process and upload them. I don't seem to be getting a lot of orders from the parents. What are your thoughts on this? Make her your ally.

Try to look at this through the eyes of your potential clients. Are you trying to find a market where there isn't one? Is the market much smaller than you think it is? Are your prices perceived as too high? Is you quality not perceived as high quality.

Try and see if there is anything you can do to increase sales.

Sometimes there isn't a market for what we are selling.

Sam
    edited May 4, 2010
    Thanks for your thoughts Sam. I'm pretty content with the quality of the images....
    ll1.JPGll2.JPGll3.JPGll4.JPG

I shot this 49-team league last year for the first time with lesser equipment, and netted about $5k. Maybe a Sports Illustrated photog would make more, but I was happy with that. Not bad for a GWC with a desk job. So I don't feel a pressing need to solicit her as a consultant.

I'm not frustrated with my market. I'm frustrated with people who don't value photographs I guess. And it just feels kind of fake when someone goes out of their way to lavishly compliment my photos but then they don't buy any. Not even a single $2.95 4x6".

On the other hand, I'm somewhat guilty of this myself. A coworker is an amateur painter. She's done some pretty great watercolors. She posts pictures of them on facebook, and I compliment them on a regular basis. But I've never bought one. I don't have room for all my photographs I'd like to hang in my home, nevermind someone else's art. Plus I'd rather spend money on other things, like lenses. But it's not like she's creating pictures of MY CHILDREN. If she did a great painting of my kids I'd buy it on the spot!
    -Jack

edited May 4, 2010
    Sam has another great point... sometimes no matter HOW good they are, they aren't buying... we did Easter photos at a daycare, with 2 REAL bunnies... the shots came out great... and for $20 the parents got 1 8x10, 2 5x7 and 4 wallets... (IMO a HUGE package for the money). One mom loved her kid's photo so much that she had tears in her eyes (not exaggerating). So I asked, "So which package will you be ordering?" and she said, "Oh, none, we already got them done at the mall". I know for a fact that she wouldn't have bought even if they were like $8, because in her mind, although these were MUCH better, she already bought some and wasn't going to spend a penny more.

Oh, and if a 50% coupon makes you lose money, you need to raise your prices. :) Or (sorry SmugMug) find a different processor for the low-dollar package stuff.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    edited May 4, 2010
    and for $20 the parents got 1 8x10, 2 5x7 and 4 wallets... (IMO a HUGE package for the money).

It's a good value, yes, but I think it's about what people expect. Last year I had a package for $24 that was 1 8x10, 1 5x7, 4 wallets, and a large magnet. Net $10. This year I'm using an all-coupons model.
    One mom loved her kid's photo so much that she had tears in her eyes (not exaggerating). So I asked, "So which package will you be ordering?" and she said, "Oh, none, we already got them done at the mall".

EXACTLY. That right there is what I do not get and do not respect. What the heck is up with that? If a photo of your child brings you to tears but you won't part with 20 clams for it, there is something wrong with you!
    -Jack

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010

EXACTLY. That right there is what I do not get and do not respect. What the heck is up with that?

That right there says: You are competing with The Mall!
    tom wise
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    EXACTLY. That right there is what I do not get and do not respect. What the heck is up with that? If a photo of your child brings you to tears but you won't part with 20 clams for it, there is something wrong with you!
    Personally, I probably would have bought the photos from you. However, I still disagree with you here; You provide a service, you give people the opportunity to get some good shots for little money from their child. Nice. However, I don't think it is fair to expect people to use your services. And I don't think it is fair to say if they don't, there is something wrong with that person.
    edited May 5, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    However, I don't think it is fair to expect people to use your services.

I don't expect that. I just find it odd when people say how awesome the images of their children are and then they don't buy any. There are plenty of people who don't buy any and don't compliment me - that's fine, at least they're being real.
    And I don't think it is fair to say if they don't, there is something wrong with that person.

Like I said, I think if a photo of your child moves you to tears, and then you turn around and say it's not worth $20 (or even $3), you are probably an obsessive-compulsive cheapskate. I think that's a fair assessment.
    -Jack

• BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    I don't expect that. I just find it odd when people say how awesome the images of their children are and then they don't buy any. There are plenty of people who don't buy any and don't compliment me - that's fine, at least they're being real.

What's not real about that? There's lots of things I like and will compliment people on, but it doesn't necessarily mean I am going to run out and buy all those things!! Sometimes a compliment is just that- a compliment!!!

Now, if she repeatedly says, " Your photos are awesome and I am going to buy 20 photos!" and then doesn't buy any, maybe then you might reasonable wonder, "what's up with that?"
    edited May 5, 2010
    I'm just excited to hear what happens when he engages her in one (or more) of the suggested conversations here. You are a businessperson, to be honest, it's NOT wrong to 'ask for the order". Heck, at the very least, next time she compliments you, just say, "oh, thanks very much - do you think I could put together a nice custom package for you?" It's NOT offensive, and you may (for your and my own twisted reasons Laughing.gif) find out the real reason why she isn't buying!

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    edited May 6, 2010
    Glort wrote: »
    WOW!

If I ever come across that here, I WILL be hanging up my camera and looking for a more profitable and less insane vocation!
    When you can do that and they still don't buy, it's definitely time to give the game away because there is nothing you can do better and if you still can't sell the pic, then the writing is clearly on the wall!

nah, there's just people "like that" out there. It didn't help that this was a very low income daycare, I was doing the shoot for my friend who owns it, more as a favor and for PR for the business.

Didn't really bother me, in 20 years in the wedding business, I've heard it all (twice, at least) and nothing really surprises me anymore.

I will say that we won't be doing shoots at that daycare (or probably ANY daycare) anymore, though... for other reasons mainly that it isn't worth our time and we already did our "favor" :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
  • jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I for one think its wrong not to allow parents to take pics of their kids an a ll event. Maybe they don't want a profesional photo. Maybe all they want is memories. .
    yeah how about this:
    "I'm so glad you like them - and I know that you are singing my praises to others, too. Here's the code so you can get 50% off your first photo order, and here's a 20% code that you can give to people that you tell about my photos".

And next year, with your contract with your LL, put a clause in there that says that you are the only photographer allowed in the "team photo area"... that cameras other than yours are not allowed. Then enlist the help of a friend to "police" it. I assume you are giving a percentage of sales back to the LL, so if you (or your helper) explains, "I'm sorry, the league doesn't allow people other than the official photographer to shoot photos in this area - I'm sure you understand, since a portion of the proceeds go back to the LL to support the program". They can't argue or complain, because it uses the stupid LL montra: "Oh, it's for the kids". Laughing.gif
    edited May 6, 2010
    Blaker wrote: »
    What's not real about that? There's lots of things I like and will compliment people on, but it doesn't necessarily mean I am going to run out and buy all those things!!

Right, like I said, I don't buy art, even though my coworker is a good painter and I compliment her work. I think it's something else though when the art in question is of your own children. If somebody took a great photo of my kid that I couldn't reproduce myself during a significant event, I'm buying it!!
    -Jack

edited May 6, 2010
    jnsuffolk wrote: »
    I for one think its wrong not to allow parents to take pics of their kids an a ll event. Maybe they don't want a profesional photo. Maybe all they want is memories. .

We're talking about during the posed shots... team shots and individual photos. The ones he arranges, poses and takes photos of by hire of the LL itself.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010

I think it is unbecoming to think that way. Take the compliment and leave it that.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    If I don't hire someone to take my kids photo then they had better not expect me to buy it. It's that simple. ne_nau.gif

Now, my wife...she will buy one just because she feels obligated to. She even buys a school pic and I feel safe saying my photography blows the school pics away! rolleyes1.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
    edited May 6, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    I think it is unbecoming to think that way. Take the compliment and leave it that.

um, acting that way might be behavior unbecoming an official photographer, but I can think whatever I want, thanks.
    -Jack

• WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    You know, I have been pondering this. Your title for this thread is "Empty Compliments".

What that says to me is that you think a compliment isn't worth anything or isn't genuine unless they buy something from you. This has been reinforced by the fact you think someone who doesn't buy a photo that brings a tear to their eye is an obsessive compulsive cheapskate.

Your thinking and attitude will come across to your clients.

Just my 2¢
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
    edited May 7, 2010
    Wachel wrote: »
    What that says to me is that you think a compliment isn't worth anything or isn't genuine unless they buy something from you.

Yes and no. I understand some people simply do not value photographs. And then I also have some friends who's house is so disorganized and messy, that any prints they might buy would just end up lost in the chaos in their house. I understand everyone has a different situation. But nobody in this town is too poor for a $5.95 5x7 or a $2.95 4x6 or a $0.95 1mp download. $6 means nothing to me, it's more the token of appreciation. A compliment is a nice token of appreciation, but it's just curious when it is followed by no sale. It makes me wonder what their situation is.
    This has been reinforced by the fact you think someone who doesn't buy a photo of their child that brings a tear to their eye is an obsessive compulsive cheapskate.

OCD or some other hang-up. I do believe that. Do you disagree? Someone looking at a photo of their child and weeping followed by "no thanks" doesn't add up to me. Unless the kid had passed away.
    Your thinking and attitude will come across to your clients.

I am aware of how my thinking may come across and I am good at being polite. Isn't that one of the costs of membership to adulthood?
    -Jack

• smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Just wondering...are the images watermarked? In the middle? I found that most people now just illegally download images from my site, and some even tell me how great they are as their new screensaver! One even showed me four by six prints they had made at home, cropping out the watermark that I used to put on the bottom of the image. Now the watermark goes straight across the middle. Yes, it looks terrible, but I have to do it. People seem to think nothing of stealing digital photos from a photographer these days. One work acquaintance told me that about 30 of my images from a October wedding had been e-mailed to him. I don't allow external links, and had used a bottom watermark . With spring weddings, since using the center watermark, sales have definitely increased.
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I run into the same thing here. The problem is that if you aren't selling on site (engaging the impulse by reaction), you won't sell them. Parents of kids in sports have so many opportunities to get pictures, they will always think that they can get a similar shot later - regardless of whether or not they will (I was a parent and a coach for some time).

This year I am shooting game photos for 22 teams, but also doing their individual posed shots for "picture day". I am going to print a flyer to drop in the package envelopes when they come back that offers a coupon code for some % off the action shots (which are linked to from the league website). I am hoping that will stimulate sales quite a bit. If not, then I know better for next year and won't bother with the action stuff.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
    edited May 8, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    Just wondering...are the images watermarked? In the middle?

Yep...
    rs_watermarked.jpg

I found that most people now just illegally download images from my site, and some even tell me how great they are as their new screensaver!

Yes, and the woman I'm talking about in my OP actually told me "oh your images are all over facebook with your logo in the middle!" intending that as a compliment. Even though they are right click protected and external links disabled. Right-click protection only protects against the computer-illiterate, so your watermark needs to serve as "free advertising" as well.
    I run into the same thing here. The problem is that if you aren't selling on site (engaging the impulse by reaction), you won't sell them.

I had decent sales last year using a combination of the smugmug business model and pre-paid packages which I fulfilled myself. That was a monumental headache, and now that smugmug has coupons I am using an all smugmug model using coupons instead of packages. Now I just shoot, PP, upload, email the teams, and wait for the sales to roll in. We'll see how it goes. Last year, 50 teams, paid for our family vacation to Jamaica. :)
    -Jack

• ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I had decent sales last year using a combination of the smugmug business model and pre-paid packages which I fulfilled myself. That was a monumental headache, and now that smugmug has coupons I am using an all smugmug model using coupons instead of packages. Now I just shoot, PP, upload, email the teams, and wait for the sales to roll in. We'll see how it goes. Last year, 50 teams, paid for our family vacation to Jamaica. :)

I'll definitely be curious to hear how it works this year for you. I chose to do fulfillment through Black River Imaging because they have the cool stuff that gets kids excited - buttons, pennants, stadium tickets, etc.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
    edited May 9, 2010
    JM presents a case for for more descriptive watermarks... ;)

To Be shown only at:
    (your website name)
    Other use is a violation of copyright laws.

-or-

Ahem, image "borrowed" from
    (your website name)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d