Not all portraits need smiles (maybe a smirk)

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in People
This is my baby of the 4 (youngest twin by 3 hours), and wanted to get some C&C on the lighting.. is the fill ok, to much.. i've been making an asserted effort to learn/use the SB600 that has been collecting dust. Oh, and didn't cut the chin off on this one :rofl

857057346_x4UrP-L.jpg
Devin

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    C&C:
    1) to my taste it is a touch underexposed.
    2)there is blue color cast to the image probably from the blues skies so I would warm it up some.
    3) there is a giant wood post growing out of her head
    4) the background is busy and bright patches are distracting
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    You did cut her fingers off though...:D
    Fill looks good to me (though I've been having issues with a bit too much fill, so expect someone else more knowledgeable to chime in that it is too much...).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    The fill balance looks right. You did not blow the highlights and you left enough shadow to show the shape of her face. How were you using the flash? On camera or off? Did you use a diffuser? I have a 600 too and have been working on using it effectively.

I realize you did not ask for general C&C. But, I agree with Qarik's comments. If you shot this in RAW, try increasing the exposure a little and warm it up a little. It would be interesting to see the difference.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    C&C:
    1) to my taste it is a touch underexposed.
    2)there is blue color cast to the image probably from the blues skies so I would warm it up some.
    3) there is a giant wood post growing out of her head
    4) the background is busy and bright patches are distracting

Thanks for taking the time to point some of these things out, I tried another cut at it in post, and think i addressed your 1 and 2 comments.

any better (specifically the exposure and a warmer WB)?
    857382297_JPSZJ-L.jpg

However, I tried multiple ways of "fixing" 3 and 4 and don't think my skill level is quite there in post to not make it look .. um, funky.

Devin
    Devin
    edited May 4, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    You did cut her fingers off though...:D
    Fill looks good to me (though I've been having issues with a bit too much fill, so expect someone else more knowledgeable to chime in that it is too much...).

Doh, got me on the fingers.. :bash - but thanks Andrew, I hope i'm improving a bit in the flash area (I know I have a long way to go though).
    Devin
    edited May 4, 2010
    Caspian wrote: »
    The fill balance looks right. You did not blow the highlights and you left enough shadow to show the shape of her face. How were you using the flash? On camera or off? Did you use a diffuser? I have a 600 too and have been working on using it effectively.

I realize you did not ask for general C&C. But, I agree with Qarik's comments. If you shot this in RAW, try increasing the exposure a little and warm it up a little. It would be interesting to see the difference.

Hi David - I had the flash in the shoe, sun was directly above the bridge and used a diffuser. I was shooting my 80-200 and had the flash at 85mm (fill on). And no problem, will take all the C&C i can get thumb.gif

I posted above another attempt in post (i do shoot in raw) and made a couple minor adjustments. I also 'filtered' the wood column to give it some more detail.. thought it may help with the shot?? not sure on that one headscratch.gif

Devin
    Devin