Friend in the Park

TheBradyTheBrady Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited May 6, 2010 in People
I've never felt comfortable taking pictures of people. I've had my camera for a little over two months now and I really want to start pushing myself. I know the only way I'm going to get over my fear of shooting portraits is to just start doing it. I know the more I shoot, the better I'll get.

I tend to let get myself anxious while working with people and that gets me distracted from what I'm actually doing with my camera. I end up missing the shots I really wanted. Here are some of my practice shots from a trip to the park yesterday with my friend Holly.

857502443_utKQq-M.jpg

857510490_vV2tu-M.jpg

857514775_CbeRs-M.jpg

857530633_EESbB-M.jpg

857532827_wHPdx-M.jpg

Any tips on working with the model, or suggestions on the actual photos themselves would be appreciated!

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    If you're photographing people, the shot should be about the subject (people) and not so much about the context. In this regard, the last image is the best of the lot.

Also think a bit about composition. Number 1 and 4 - Holly is dead center in the shot. This is usually not optimal.

Numbers 2 and 3 - again, Holly's face is a very small component of the shot - she kind get's lost in all the foliage/flowers.
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    There are so many factors that go into creating a good portrait. As you look at some of the posts here, you will see great (and not so great) examples. If you are just starting out, I recommend picking one component of a good portrait, like composition, posing, or lighting and work on just that component. People learn in different ways. For me, it has been helpful to find books with great illustrations and to go out and practice what I see in the pictures. Make your friend and model a partner in the process. You will get better and she will get some great free portraits.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I think Scott said what I feel as well; I think you did very well clap.gif however I would like to see the focus more on your lovely subject!