First lightning capture with the new camera

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in Landscapes
This is the first saved photo from my first real effort with my new T1i, I'm still getting used to where, and what, all the buttons are, but it's all coming together...
<center>
858284121_sbRuH-M-1.jpg
"Falcon Hill"
</center>
The photo can be seen in more detail in my "Nature-Outdoors" gallery

As usual, comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged.

Exif Data
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Very nice capture, Steve! thumb.gif

I had a chance to play with a friend's T1i a couple weeks back and was surprised how many of the buttons had moved around (for the better) compared to my XTi. Takes a little getting used to, but looks like you're doing just fine with it!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • ramblinmanramblinman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2010
    Nice shot. I've been waiting to capture lighting with my 5D. Havent had too many opportunities this year so far.
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Viable thunderstorms have been slim so far this season for me as well. I've been trying to remember where I saw a write up on a DIY photocell electronic shutter release that was made specifically for the purpose of capturing lightning instead of doing long exposures hopping something happens. Last night I compared this to fishing, throwing a line in the water and waiting for something to happen... over and over and over again.
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • ramblinmanramblinman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2010
    With my old Powershot S2 IS I was able to capture a few bolts of lighting a few years ago. I had to set my camera to burst mode and after taking over 400 shots, I managed to capture lightning in 4 shots.

Now, I have a few places I can go to when I know a front is approaching I can camp out and wait...
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    ramblinman wrote: »
    With my old Powershot S2 IS I was able to capture a few bolts of lighting a few years ago. I had to set my camera to burst mode and after taking over 400 shots, I managed to capture lightning in 4 shots.

Now, I have a few places I can go to when I know a front is approaching I can camp out and wait...
    I have a couple captures with my PowerShot SX100 IS. I used the same long exposure technique that I used here (except that with the SX100 it was 15 second exposures). I took roughly 50 photos to get this one keeper.
    Scooba Steve