Birthdays and new toys

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in People
The new toy is MINE: moved to a 7d....

In any case, first shots with the new beast. I am very VERY pleased so far. Most interesting is that even though the raw files are larger than the 50d, LR handles them much faster (anybody know why that is?)

The birthday girl is turning 12 (going on 17... with ALL that implies, heaven help me.... :huh :giggle ) This is nothing more than a glorified snapshot really, although I was pleased with how the flash balanced with ambient (I have another one where the balance favours the candles more - ie less flash - which I also like, but this one was a better expression from the offspring). This was taken with the 50mm 1.4 and the 430ex in the shoe and bounced (and don't ask me why I had it stopped down to 6.3 - I have NO idea! With my messy dining room background, 2.8 might have been more appropriate :rofl)

(looking at this again I realise her right hand/wrist placement is really strange. Ah well - I did say it was a glorified snapshot!)
858276028_5Fadp-L.jpg

I also had a chance to try it out at a badly lit school concert. This is ISO 2000. NR in Lightroom (no external NR), and I'd say this is about the same as 800 in the xsi and 1600 in the 50d. I am SERIOUSLY pleased with this as an indication of the real life results it's going to offer at higher ISOs! This was taken with the 135L

858276070_nKe8v-L.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Yay for you! Looks like it is going to be well used and loved!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Well aren't you the spoiled little birthday girl!!!!!mwink.gifD I'm so jealous! You have such the ultimate setup of bodies and lenses now. I think you better start doing those concerts for pay! That looks seriously amazing!! As does the birthday offspring shot :) Mine oldest is 10yrs and 11 months and counting...nearing the big 11 at the end of June. Glad to see you made it though year 11. I hear you on those teen years approaching. UUUUUUGH! Great work and thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more with your 7d!thumb.gif
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I am impressed. Enjoy the new toy for sure.

As for the teen years? All I can say is - grandchildren will be your reward for not killing your offspring during that period of time.rolleyes1.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Looks like your new toy is going to be well loved! :D I'm really happy for you that you didn't get one of the 7D cameras that have been having problems - I was a little concerned for you on that score. But these images look GREAT! Even your "glorified snapshot"!

I guess, with the rate you are buying and selling cameras (almost like a SmugMug executive we all know and love :D) it won't be long before you put this 7D toy of yours on the selling block and get some of that FF goodness for yourself! (a private joke there)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Congratulations on the new camera, and the shots look great.
    Do Mini-Diva and I share a 5/5 birthday? Happy birthday to MD....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Congrats on the EQ!

Is that the Little Diva Sawing away on the Fiddle in the Middle?
    tom wise
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Thanks all!

@Tom - yes, that's her in the middle. Wasn't any real "need" to take pictures for this, but it was a nice way to test out the machine in situ. Win-win!

@Andrew, her birthday is actually today, May 6, but we celebrated early because DH and I are both working tonight. Belated happy birthday to you!

@Snowgirl :bash eek7.gif :giggle

@Scott I think I'm DONE for a while (famous last words rolleyes1.gif). I'll have to come up with some kind of lenslust .... I have to say I'm so pleased by the higher ISO performance so far. That's the main reason I would want to go FF and this is clearly no slouch. It's tempting to look at 1:1 and think, "ack - noise!" but really - with 18mp resolution that's never going to be how it's viewed. Knock it back to 60% and it's soooo nice and clean.

@Heather - thanks! This is the direction I've been slowly moving towards for the last year or so (ie 2nd body with best high ISO I can afford), so it's nice to have put it together. It's going to be a really useful tool.

@Kidzmom - 11 is pretty fun to start off, but there is NO doubt that as the year progresses one starts to see the teenager they will become! Batten down the hatches... I won't kill mine if you won't kill yours.... rolleyes1.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    That second is a nice example, but I love that first one iloveyou.gif