One from a creative lighting class I took

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited May 8, 2010 in People
Last Saturday I took a creative lighting class from one of the guys in the local strobist scene. I have not done a lot of lighting work so what I found most interesting was the instructor's thought process in working through a lighting set-up.

To make it interesting, he rented out an old house for the class to shoot in and invited a couple of models to help us out (another first for me).

I'm not sure what I think of this one. Interested in comments on both lighting and PP...

858498758_czHau-L.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Not liking the lighting, and I think the PP makes it worse. Looks like she's been punched 2x in the left side of the face, and her nose is weird looking. The high-clarity/detail processing accentuates the shadows on her face...
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Lighting is scary in the beginning. As with a lot of things: practice practice practice thumb.gif

I'm not crazy about the lighting, but it is not bad! Watch the shadows on her face, they are usually most noticeable.

Do you have the unprocessed version you would like to share with us?
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Lighting is scary in the beginning. As with a lot of things: practice practice practice thumb.gif

I'm not crazy about the lighting, but it is not bad! Watch the shadows on her face, they are usually most noticeable.

Do you have the unprocessed version you would like to share with us?
    So here is an unprocessed version. Just cropped.
    859247898_VjLFd-L.jpg
    Mike J

Facebook
  • djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    My 2 pennies worth. I like the unretouched/enhanced photo over the processed one. A little fill from your right side to soften the shadow on the face would have made a big difference. Even using a reflector to give a soft lighting would have worked wonders. IMHO
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    djames wrote: »
    My 2 pennies worth. I like the unretouched/enhanced photo over the processed one. A little fill from your right side to soften the shadow on the face would have made a big difference. Even using a reflector to give a soft lighting would have worked wonders. IMHO
    Absolutely agree on the need for a little fill. In the class, we all shot the same lighting setup so we didn't have leeway.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Focus
    The lit area is her chest. Not her face. No catchlights in her eyes. Definitely needed a fill - light is very harsh. I prefer the unprocessed image of the two as well.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com