How long can a tether cord be???

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited May 8, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I need one that lets me move around 20' from my PC. My electronics department d00d, says; ugh ugh, no can do,,,, any longer than 10' and you run the risk of file corruption.

Is this correct? :scratch

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    I need one that lets me move around 20' from my PC. My electronics department d00d, says; ugh ugh, no can do,,,, any longer than 10' and you run the risk of file corruption.

Is this correct? headscratch.gif

He's prob about right..I'd heard 12' but ten's close. Cannot remember where I'd read it, perhaps Strobist, er somewhere

Found this
    tom wise
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    He's prob about right..I'd heard 12' but ten's close. Cannot remember where I'd read it, perhaps Strobist, er somewhere

Found this

Thanks, Tom.

Reading this post from the link you posted;
    The limitation on USB cable length has to do with the USB standards for signal timing and the type of cable used. This basically means that the longest cable length you can have between a hub and a device is 5 metres.

However, as the hub regenerates the signal timing, you can daisy chain hubs to a maximum depth of 5 devices, or 25 metres.

The "active usb cable" mentioned before basically contains a single port hub in the end, so it provides the electronics to regenerate the signal.

There are also USB-to-fibre devices that will allow you to work USB over a much longer distance with fibre optic cable.

Andrew

I take it that I can run a 15 footer off my computron
    > a hub. Then I'm good to run another 15 footer from it (hub)
    > my camera.

That would be grand, if it works.... Which leads me to another Q; If by chance I do get a corrupted file, will it be visually noticeable on my monitor at time of capture or would it be something that lies hidden until I process? headscratch.gif

Digifused. :D
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    To answer your Q about corrupted files... if you use something like TeraCopy, it can recognize corrupted files.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 7, 2010
    FlashZebra.com carries (or used to) long tether solutions. You should also look at Eye-fi as an option as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 7, 2010
    Thanks for the help, folks! :{)
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I've used a few USB extenders to go 50+ feet. This was for a few unusual pc setups at work. The powered extenders (at least the good ones) are fairly costly, so just a simple powered hub would probably work for you. There are probably adapters to run over Cat5 (there seems to be for everything else), but those are also $$$$$. As long as it's powered, you shouldn't have an issue...just test it out before taking any priceless pics. :)

Speaking of long cable runs, I even had to do a 100 foot VGA run (two 50 foot cables connected with a cheap adapter...unpowered) and it works fine. Crazy, considering what the standard says for the limit. It's more forgiving than a digital signal though. hehe

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • R. ScottR. Scott Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I use a 16' booster cord when shooting tethered and have never had a problem. When coupled with your camera cord, it will get you just about 20 feet. Not terribly expensive, either.
    edited May 8, 2010
    I ran the theory of using a USB hub, as I outlined in my earlier post, to my electronics wizard. The "Guy" assures me that this will work. I'm into the setup for ~ 25 bucks and it gives me more reach than I need. And it has the added bonus of working, seemingly,,, just fine! :D

Feels good that this was one problem that didn't run me, 150 clams, minimum.....

Again, I thank ya all for ye's support. thumb.gif