New website + how far do you go?

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Okay, so there is really two parts to this post.

First one: I've got a new website up and I would love some feedback! www.ivarborst.nl
In case the site doesn't say it loud enough, I like simple and clean :D The design is by me, the coding mainly by my brother :thumb

Things that are going to be done shortly are adding a form on the 'contact page' and it will have some handles for direct linking and SEO.
The Blog will be up and running shortly as well, and my SmugMug site is getting a makeover soon. I'm also still trying to figure out which photos I want for the 'home' slideshow and in what order.

Second: How far are you going to go as far as sites for different machines/platforms? I'm going to have an iPhone version running as well, but now there is also the iPad, and different other little machines. Do you create a site for all of those? Or do you just say "if they really want to see my work, they will go to a 'normal' computer"? (My main site is now Flash, something that doesn't work on the iPad/iPhone.)

I can do the coding myself so it is not going to cost me more than time, however this is not my main job; I'm in the lucky position that I am not dependent on Photography for my income and can do as much or as little as I like. So I guess my question is: How far do you go with your web-presence?

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I've avoided flash on my sites for several reasons:
    I don't do code so it costs me $ to have someone else do it;
    Many of my clients are in rural locations and don't even have high-speed internet - just dial-up; and now
    with the advent of iPads etc. that don't handle Flash - I'm glad.

I have no special site just for phone viewing - not my thing. It's up to the user to decide how they want to view things.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Okay, so there is really two parts to this post.

First one: I've got a new website up and I would love some feedback! www.ivarborst.nl
    In case the site doesn't say it loud enough, I like simple and clean :D The design is by me, the coding mainly by my brother thumb.gif

Things that are going to be done shortly are adding a form on the 'contact page' and it will have some handles for direct linking and SEO.
    The Blog will be up and running shortly as well, and my SmugMug site is getting a makeover soon. I'm also still trying to figure out which photos I want for the 'home' slideshow and in what order.

Second: How far are you going to go as far as sites for different machines/platforms? I'm going to have an iPhone version running as well, but now there is also the iPad, and different other little machines. Do you create a site for all of those? Or do you just say "if they really want to see my work, they will go to a 'normal' computer"? (My main site is now Flash, something that doesn't work on the iPad/iPhone.)

I can do the coding myself so it is not going to cost me more than time, however this is not my main job; I'm in the lucky position that I am not dependent on Photography for my income and can do as much or as little as I like. So I guess my question is: How far do you go with your web-presence?

Whoaa...Ivar.,....those shots in your Slide-Show are just great! And yes....Clean and S i m p l e ~

How far do you go?

I think it totally depends on who it is I am trying to reach. I am about to change geo/demographics and will also have to change my presence ...I will need to be more physical at the new locale.

I think it would make total sense, so I am glad you brought it up...to Make my blog or create a version of it for Mobi...I have seen my blog on an iphone and it does display and all, but not at all in a way that I like."I" being key here.

So: Who do you want to reach?
    tom wise
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Myself, I just use a back-end CSS (Joomla) and purchased a very customizable template - the work has already been done, it works on every browser (some 3+ yo and older browsers don't work 100%), has a built in "mobi" code so it works on BB's, iPhones, Droid.. and the SEO is already in there ready to be customized. Took me 1 day to take the text from my old site, re-write some of it, and drop it into the template (which is SO customizable you'd never really know it to be a template).
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Ivar, the new site looks gorgeous! thumb.gif

The only nit I can find is that I think your logo should be a "home" link as well. Even though you have "home" listed as a link, linking the logo has become almost standard and it might annoy some users when it doesn't work.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Many of my clients are in rural locations and don't even have high-speed internet - just dial-up;
    I'm not sure if you are saying this or not, but Flash was actually designed for lower-bandwidth; My flash file is smaller than my images :D
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    and now with the advent of iPads etc. that don't handle Flash
    Yeah, I'm not sure how much of an impact it will be, but it will probably be/have some. There are no iPads here, yet.

Thanks for the input!
    edited May 6, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I think it would make total sense, so I am glad you brought it up...to Make my blog or create a version of it for Mobi...I have seen my blog on an iphone and it does display and all, but not at all in a way that I like."I" being key here.

So: Who do you want to reach?
    Yeah, I think a mobi version could be a good thing; So many people I know use their iPhones or similar these days!

As far as target I'm looking for mainly local people who want people shots. I wouldn't even mind non-local people as long as they pay for travel lol3.gif You know, I've only recently started doing this 'professionally' and since it is an 'on the side' thing for me, I may not have thought about this enough.
    edited May 6, 2010
    Myself, I just use a back-end CSS (Joomla) and purchased a very customizable template - the work has already been done, it works on every browser (some 3+ yo and older browsers don't work 100%), has a built in "mobi" code so it works on BB's, iPhones, Droid.. and the SEO is already in there ready to be customized. Took me 1 day to take the text from my old site, re-write some of it, and drop it into the template (which is SO customizable you'd never really know it to be a template).
    Thanks for sharing! would you mind sharing a link to your site? (by PM if you don't want to give it in public?)
    edited May 6, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Ivar, the new site looks gorgeous! thumb.gif

The only nit I can find is that I think your logo should be a "home" link as well. Even though you have "home" listed as a link, linking the logo has become almost standard and it might annoy some users when it doesn't work.

Thank you! And I'll update it that with the next round of changesthumb.gif