Seniors | Rachel

JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited May 12, 2010 in People
I took out Rachel the other day to a park nearby our church. We know each other pretty well from church and I was honored when she asked me to take her pictures. We had a good time just walking around seeing what the park had to offer for photography and talking about other random stuff. These are just a few from the full set and to see more go to www.JonDraperPhoto.com

Please leave me some C&C! Thanks
857149722_anSu5-M.jpg
857158042_sbVWN-M.jpg857147927_wU2WZ-M.jpg
857155098_4dDFP-M.jpg
857155481_A7q3g-M.jpg857155794_KvmUv-M.jpg

Comments

• trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I really like the angle, composition, and lighting of #1. I can’t pin point it but #2 seems to have a bit of barrel distortion but some people like that. #4,5,6 you really captures some great expressions. Very nice set.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Lovely shots iloveyou.gif Looks like you two had a great time!
  • JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    thank you guys for the feedback
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    good stuff. Pretty gal. She looks very comfortable in front of the camera and you captured some genuine smiles, particularly the last few.

I think the 4th one is a wall hanger...although the reverse vignette (brightness) at the bottom of the frame is slightly distracting to me.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• cy88cy88 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I like them! Nothing fancy, simple and colorful!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    *clap clap clap* she has a lovely smile. you did well to capture her spirit!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    these are absolutely lovely. i really like the backlighting on the last three. great job!
    Kristen
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    The backlit shots are something I've wanted to capture for a while and haven't found the right conditions yet. Given the right conditions I'm not sure I could pull it off as well as you have. I really like the hint of "flare" on the edges. Can you give me some insight into your technique?
    edited May 10, 2010
    Clixphoto wrote: »
    The backlit shots are something I've wanted to capture for a while and haven't found the right conditions yet. Given the right conditions I'm not sure I could pull it off as well as you have. I really like the hint of "flare" on the edges. Can you give me some insight into your technique?

Thanks so much guys.. and Clix, I really just expose for skin with spot metering (sometimes center weighed) and wait until at least 5 or 6 o clock to get a nicer warmer color to the photo. I had looked at a lot of other photographers I loved that also did lens flairs and I asked them what they did.. and their advice to me is all I have used and that was just expose for the skin. Make sure and take in RAW which i'm sure you do.. and then you can get your lighting perfect in camera raw and lighten the face or make other lighting adjustments in PS. Hope that helps!
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Jon, I tried a few shots this afternoon. Check them out in the Back Lit Try thread.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Wonderful photos! I bet she is really happy with them! iloveyou.gif
  • kevincaophotographykevincaophotography Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I, for one, love lens flare when used correctly, especially in portraits. You used them just perfectly! Love the texture in #1, focus in #2, bokeh in #3, and lens flare in 4,5,6! Mind if I ask what lens you used?
    edited May 12, 2010
    I, for one, love lens flare when used correctly, especially in portraits. You used them just perfectly! Love the texture in #1, focus in #2, bokeh in #3, and lens flare in 4,5,6! Mind if I ask what lens you used?

Thanks so much Kevin.. I actually used 3 different lenses throughout the shoot. For the one with her cross-legged, I used a Canon 20-35mm 2.8L. For the ones that look like shes further away (on the bridge) I was using a 70-200mm 2.8L and for the lens flairs and up close ones I was just using a Canon 50mm f1.8 that I paid $75 for. I soon will buy a 50mm 1.2L because of how much I love my 1.8. Anyway, hope that helps!

Like I said in an earlier post, just make sure to expose for the skin and then just experiment with where the sun is at. If you want.. take a subject and put them facing you with the sun behind them and just take the same picture from different angles (sun in picture, out of picture, behind subject, etc.). Anyway, hope that helps.