Looking Cool, A Priority

InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited May 7, 2010 in Street and Documentary
A rare attempt at street (and B&W) type photography from me. Straight out of camera (with some pretty extreme settings), straightened and cropped to 3:2:

854049556_Mdy46-XL.jpg

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Hi there,
    Ok I'll say your shot has potential.
    First I like the conversion--you were dealing with an extremely bright day and I think you managed to convert nicely (but ahem, I like high contrast so...)

It took me a bit to find who you meant in the title--at first I see the first guy in the group walking and cool is not a word that comes to mind. Then I see the remaining three guys and I get that "beatles wanna be" feeling.
    I think maybe try and cropping to make them the focus. Then again I like the campus shot in the background headscratch.gif.

Come on street dgrinners--jump in and help me out here--what's this shot missing?

Keep posting in street btw--looking forward to what you have next.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Just to busy for me.
    Nothing really grabs my attention or holds my interest for any length of time.

Enjoy the overall image however and the look into your world thumb.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Hi there,
    Ok I'll say your shot has potential.
    First I like the conversion--you were dealing with an extremely bright day and I think you managed to convert nicely (but ahem, I like high contrast so...)

It took me a bit to find who you meant in the title--at first I see the first guy in the group walking and cool is not a word that comes to mind. Then I see the remaining three guys and I get that "beatles wanna be" feeling.
    I think maybe try and cropping to make them the focus. Then again I like the campus shot in the background headscratch.gif.

Come on street dgrinners--jump in and help me out here--what's this shot missing?

Keep posting in street btw--looking forward to what you have next.

I immediately had a "young Beatles in the early 60's" mixed with a pose from the cover of Abbey Road (minus the cross walk) reaction when I saw this. I agree with Liz that a bit of cropping might help focus on them more. I like your conversion.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Thanks all for the criticism and suggestions. I'll have another play with cropping over the weekend. Incidentally, almost everyone who's commented on this photo (friends, family, a couple of other forums I frequent) made a Beatles connection. Coincidentally, the camera I used is currently being advertised on British TV with an ad about someone who just happens to be passing Abbey Road in their car and photographing some people walking across that iconic Zebra crossing.