Options

New Canon 24-105 f/4 "L" IS USM lens (rumor)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    photobug wrote:
    So, anyone have a URL handy that can educate me on how to read MTF charts? (ahh, Google just answered that question for me: article on MTF at Luminous Landscape)

I'd like faster, for sure. But even 105mm on the long end is getting a bit "short" for me, as I don't want to have to change lenses while in the middle of the action. (There have been times when the 28-135 didn't have as much range as I would have liked, esp on the long end) I'm especially hesistant to change lenses on a digital SLR, since it's a big opportunity to introduce dust to get lodged on the sensor.
    Nice link, thanks for posting it!

Laughing.gif, you should see me photograph a play/wedding- I change from 17-35mm to 150mm in 3 seconds flat, back and forth like a madman... Sometimes if I'm crouching in an aisle I'll even put the not-in-use lens underneath someone's chair for a second. Now THAT takes guts! To get the shot, you gotta do what you gotta do!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    **Orders now being taken** for 24-105 f/4 "L" IS USM
    Orders are now being taken for the Canon 24-105 f/4 "L" IS USM lens!

$1249 everywhere, online. Available mostly in October.

I've moved this detailed posting to a new DGrin thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=153633#post153633

Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    That price is the MAP, or Minimum Adverised Price. I wonder if it will decrease once volume is addressed?
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    24-105 "L" and $1249 MAP (Minimum Advertised Price)
    luckyrwe wrote:
    That price is the MAP, or Minimum Adverised Price. I wonder if it will decrease once volume is addressed?
    First, keep in mind that the MSRP (Mfr's Suggested Retail Price) is considerably higher, probably $1700-2000 for this lens.

The MAP, Minimum Adverised Price, is exactly that. No authorized dealer can place public ads stating a price lower than that. They can sell it for less, saying "see our web site for a fabulous deal", but can't state the actual price until you at least put it in your shopping cart , or (how antiquated!) call them on the phone for a quote.

If you walk into a brick-and-mortar store (once the lens is available), chances are high that you'll pay somewhere between MAP and MSRP for it (not to mention, sales tax :cry).

Being a new, hot lens, initial demand for the 24-105 "L" will probably outstrip supply for a while. During that time, I'd be very surprised to see it available for less than $1249. In fact, the street price could even edge up a little.

After a few months (4? 6? 8?), initial demand will be statisfied, plenty of supply will be available, and we're likely to see a few below-MAP deals, but with most dealers still sticking to MAP (does Canon ever adjust MAP prices? Probably, but I don't know).

As an example (a lens example would be better, but I'm more familiar with this one) -- look what happened when the 20D was announced. Dealers could sell all the 20D bodies they could get their hands on at $1499 a pop. Now you can find new 20D bodies under $1300, if you look around a bit. Not a huge drop, but a drop nonetheless.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...