Ballet portrait question

NSMNSM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 7, 2010 in People
I will be taking some ballet portraits in 2 weeks and was thinking I would change the background color and add a plexiglass floor. Any ideas, suggestions, comments or critiques welcome. This ballet portrait from last year.

Thank you.553275011_P8hXp-L.jpg

553276772_piGyy-XL.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I think something went wrong with embedding the images? Let me know if you need any help, or check out this tute: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138 thumb.gif
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    um, I can see them...

The expression in the first one is too forced... Overall her body language yells "tense".

Love the second one! It seem like this little girl like to be in front of a camerarolleyes1.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    What BG color are you considering? I think you gotta be a bit careful, since you probably want "lighter" colors and most ballet outfits are also lighter colors...

I'm curious as to what the plexiglass floor will do? My first thought is "make it slippery and dangerous" but I'm sure you have a better answer than that :) Any links to other photos using plexiglass floor?
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    What BG color are you considering? I think you gotta be a bit careful, since you probably want "lighter" colors and most ballet outfits are also lighter colors...

I'm curious as to what the plexiglass floor will do? My first thought is "make it slippery and dangerous" but I'm sure you have a better answer than that :) Any links to other photos using plexiglass floor?

The plexiglass floor, on top of the sweep, will provide a bit of a reflective element to the composition - almost as if the models were standing on a subtle mirror.
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    The second photo is great! Nice lighting :D

Some tips:
    - ballet is also about movement, so you could try to add this. Make her twirl, then when she stops moving, take the photo: her dress and hair will be still moving but the girl will be sharp. I've tried this once: pretty difficult to get this right mwink.gif
    - maybe pick a neutral color for background, as the dresses will be in all sorts of colors I assume.
    - ask them not to pose, but to perform ballet, even standing still.

Good look, looking forward to the end result thumb.gif
  • NSMNSM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    The plexi is for a reflection and might be fun to add. I have not done it myself so I cannot show a good example. I was thinking of a slate blue backdrop, just to do something different this year. I also like the idea of pink - for little girls - but that might compete too much with the outfits. Color suggestions are welcome :) I like paper because it is clean and simple. I have 30 or so per day to photograph, so getting total relaxed faces is not easy! Movement might be good for older girls, but the studio wants the girls posed "properly". Some are definitely more comfortable in front of the camera than others.
    Thanks for all the comments.