Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    No Title
    Looks like lots of potential story lines I'm this one. thumb.gif

Exclent cature and conversion !

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »

Love it, Ben. And not to sound like Rutt rolleyes1.gif, but I'd try to bring up a little detail in the backside of the adult.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Ben, great shot! In this case, the shadows work quite well for a good plot here. Cropping the left portion so that only the door is visible might create a better look. Cheers.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Ben--great capture as was already said.
    I like how the little boy is looking at the man--takes a bit to find the little boy, but when you do.....I immediately thought "stranger danger" and "run"--then I saw the man is helping out a lady from the car---nothing like jumping to incorrect conclusions.

Nice one.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited May 7, 2010
    Good one, Ben. thumb.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I didn't see the child immediately but once I did, WOW!
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Looks like lots of potential story lines I'm this one. thumb.gif

Exclent cature and conversion !

Don
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Love it, Ben. And not to sound like Rutt rolleyes1.gif, but I'd try to bring up a little detail in the backside of the adult.

I'll take another stab at it but don't think there's much detail in there ne_nau.gif
    sabesh wrote: »
    Ben, great shot! In this case, the shadows work quite well for a good plot here. Cropping the left portion so that only the door is visible might create a better look. Cheers.

I tried that but I need the full "STOP" sign :D
    Ben--great capture as was already said.
    I like how the little boy is looking at the man--takes a bit to find the little boy, but when you do.....I immediately thought "stranger danger" and "run"--then I saw the man is helping out a lady from the car---nothing like jumping to incorrect conclusions. Nice one.

Yeah got that same feel myself (and I know it's not true :D).
    Here's the truth:
    Car pulls up while I was chillin in the shade (camera in hand), boy jumps outa car and starts looking for
    an escape route. Adult gets out and while helping Grandma Yells at the boy, "STOP ............", boy turns I take the shot.
    I wanted to say he yelled, "STOP PICO"!! but that would be stretching the truth rolleyes1.gif
    Richard wrote: »
    Good one, Ben. thumb.gif
    Patti wrote: »
    I didn't see the child immediately but once I did, WOW!

Thanks Streeters :D
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Interesting shot from a storytelling perspective. The thing I find odd about it, though, is purely technical: the perspective is sort of weird. Pico Blvd. is a wide street, and the tree visible on the right is actually on the far side of it in front of the building numbered 8850. Yet here the tree and that building seem awfully close. I'd say this is actually a telephoto shot (or a tight crop) from down the block, and you were probably standing in the middle of the street. Am I right?

Another view of this intersection can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=8850+West+Pico+Boulevard,+Los+Angeles,+CA&sll=34.05478,-118.383666&sspn=0.048782,0.070295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=8850+W+Pico+Blvd,+Los+Angeles,+California+90035&ll=34.055237,-118.384767&spn=0.012124,0.017574&z=16&layer=c&cbll=34.055327,-118.384763&panoid=MWp-IqtYsdv1sqjGhTJraw&cbp=12,203.26,,0,10.69

(give it a moment after the map appears for it to switch to street view)
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited May 7, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    Interesting shot from a storytelling perspective. The thing I find odd about it, though, is purely technical: the perspective is sort of weird. Pico Blvd. is a wide street, and the tree visible on the right is actually on the far side of it in front of the building numbered 8850. Yet here the tree and that building seem awfully close. I'd say this is actually a telephoto shot (or a tight crop) from down the block, and you were probably standing in the middle of the street. Am I right?

Another view of this intersection can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=8850+West+Pico+Boulevard,+Los+Angeles,+CA&sll=34.05478,-118.383666&sspn=0.048782,0.070295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=8850+W+Pico+Blvd,+Los+Angeles,+California+90035&ll=34.055237,-118.384767&spn=0.012124,0.017574&z=16&layer=c&cbll=34.055327,-118.384763&panoid=MWp-IqtYsdv1sqjGhTJraw&cbp=12,203.26,,0,10.69

(give it a moment after the map appears for it to switch to street view)

Big time Crop shot from the seat of my bike parked behind car with an S90
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I really like this shot and the crop you used on it.

Funny about some reactions in noticing the boy later as I saw him first thing -- probably because my attention was drawn to the light part of the frame first. I studied his expression before being drawn to the man.
    edited May 9, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    I really like this shot and the crop you used on it.

Funny about some reactions in noticing the boy later as I saw him first thing -- probably because my attention was drawn to the light part of the frame first. I studied his expression before being drawn to the man.

Thanks much
    I think those differences when viewing images is a really good thing.