Arizona Gila Monster

neelmccneelmcc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 10, 2010 in Wildlife
Taken just as he was heading for my patio door. This one was over 15 inches long and not a happy camper when cornered. They are poisonous and move fast especially when you are at their level.

GilaMonster1_.jpg

GilaMonster2_.jpg

Neel

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I'm very happy it wasn't my patio.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    That is a big boy! I like the textured look of the scales.
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Cool captures. Is the bite poisonous?
  • MarcyMarcy Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    great capture - you were lucky to see him - what part of AZ are you in?
  • neelmccneelmcc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Mike, the bite is poisonous but evidently not fatal, biggest problem is getting them to let go. Here is a note from Wikipedia about their venom. "Although the venom is a neurotoxin as toxic as that of a Coral Snake, H. suspectum produces only small amounts.<sup id="cite_ref-nzp_8-1" class="reference">[9]</sup> The Gila monster's bite is normally not fatal to adult humans (there are no confirmed reports of fatalities), but it can bite quickly and hold on tenaciously and painfully.<sup id="cite_ref-greene_9-2" class="reference">[10]</sup> If bitten, the victim may need to fully submerge the attacking lizard in water to break free from its bite. Symptoms of the bite include excruciating pain, edema, and weakness associated with a rapid drop in blood pressure".
    Neel
  • neelmccneelmcc Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Marcy wrote: »
    great capture - you were lucky to see him - what part of AZ are you in?

Marcy, we live in Tucson and we see them maybe once or twice in the spring, not every year however. The largest we have seen was a little bit over 17 inches long.

Neel
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Well I didn't know that. Sound a bit like our Sleepy lizards who people like to say won't let go till you chop their heads off!