Noise Ninja vs Noiseware vs Topaz Denoise

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 18, 2010 in Finishing School
It's probably time for me to pony up for a full-featured noise program; right now I use the NR reduction tools in LR and also have the free, community edition of noiseware, but it would be good to have a plugin and also to be able to use noise reduction selectively, ie layers (batch actions would be nice too, although not a dealbreaker). I use Photoshop CS3 and LR, so plugins would need to compatible with either and/or both of those

So, anybody have any preferences to one or another of the current versions of the programs, and if so... why? With current promotional prices they're all right around $50 for a home licence.

Noiseware
Noise Ninja
Topaz Denoise

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    It's probably time for me to pony up for a full-featured noise program; right now I use the NR reduction tools in LR and also have the free, community edition of noiseware, but it would be good to have a plugin and also to be able to use noise reduction selectively, ie layers (batch actions would be nice too, although not a dealbreaker). I use Photoshop CS3 and LR, so plugins would need to compatible with either and/or both of those

So, anybody have any preferences to one or another of the current versions of the programs, and if so... why? With current promotional prices they're all right around $50 for a home licence.

Noiseware
    Noise Ninja
    Topaz Denoise

I have used Topaz Denoise. It is excellent, but very slow. I find that LR3b2 covers all of my noise reduction needs quite well, and Denoise sits around (Mostly) unused.

I've also tried a limited version of Noise Ninja, (from Bibble 4), and the trial version of Noiseware.

I think my conclusion at the time was:
    They all do a pretty good job.
    Some do better on some images, and others do better on others.
    Operator skill is often the deciding factor in NR quality.
    At some point, qualitative differences become a matter of pixel-peeping.
    Get the one with that's on sale for the most. :D

I am really digging LR3b2's noise reduction, though. I almost jumped ship to Aperture 3, but the NR quality has me rethinking that. headscratch.gif That, and the lens corrections they announced.
  • malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    If you want the best results and can tolerate the very significant processing time, Topaz Denoise is for you. Try it first to make sure the performance is acceptable to you.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    MG - may I suggest you wait until you have a play with the noise reduction in LR 3. I've seen what it can do (a guy in our local photo club demonstrated it) and it's nothing short of wonderful. It kicks butt all over what is possible in LR2 and CS4. As to how it compares to current offerings by NN, et. al, I don't know.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Eeeeennnnteresting. Thanks all.

What's the deal with the LR3 beta? I have to admit, I have been SPOILED by being given legal, free, academic licence copies of Cs3 and LR, but I don't know if the more current versions of either will be offered to me through the same kind source, and.... well... they ain't cheap!

Does anybody know what the LR upgrade price might be likely to be?

And how is the LR3 beta 1. for stability and 2. for hardware requirements? I am definitely limited to my current computer hardware for a while..... :)
    edited May 7, 2010
    Eeeeennnnteresting. Thanks all.

What's the deal with the LR3 beta? I have to admit, I have been SPOILED by being given legal, free, academic licence copies of Cs3 and LR, but I don't know if the more current versions of either will be offered to me through the same kind source, and.... well... they ain't cheap!

Does anybody know what the LR upgrade price might be likely to be?

And how is the LR3 beta 1. for stability and 2. for hardware requirements? I am definitely limited to my current computer hardware for a while..... :)

If you install LR 3b2 you will be able to use it until 6/30 IIRC. It will not interfere with your LR2 install or catalog. 3b2 is significantly more stable than 1 was. The upgrade from LR 1 to LR2 was $99. I'd expect the upgrade to 3 to be in that same ballpark once it is released.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    MG - may I suggest you wait until you have a play with the noise reduction in LR 3. I've seen what it can do (a guy in our local photo club demonstrated it) and it's nothing short of wonderful. It kicks butt all over what is possible in LR2 and CS4.

I agree. I’m a big Noiseware fan but the new NR in 3 is pretty astounding and reduces the need for an external product, especially all those mentioned here that can’t process the data in the raw workflow which provides a great deal of speed, flexibility and quality.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    edited May 7, 2010
    Ok, so I caved and d'l'd the LR3 beta. Agree that the NR is pretty incredible. It still can't do it selectively, but other than that.... pretty darned impressive thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited May 8, 2010
    I use "Neat Image" for all my images now. Extremely configurable but most of the time I take one "Auto-Profile" in a situation and then just apply the same noise signature across similar scenes. I use both the presets and my own custom profiled noise reduction.

It's available as a PS plugin or a standalone (single image and batch). (Pro+ version is both and 16 bit image capable.)

It worked well under Win XP, P4 processor, 2 GB RAM, but it flies under Windows 7, 32 bit, i5 processor, 4 GB RAM.

The demo version of NI does not do the product justice.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 8, 2010
    Ok, so I caved and d'l'd the LR3 beta. Agree that the NR is pretty incredible. It still can't do it selectively, but other than that.... pretty darned impressive thumb.gif

Diva,

One thing I picked up from the Adobe LR3 forum (I *think* it was a post from Jeff Schewe), is that the NR scales, to some extent. So a setting of "20" color NR will behave differently at ISO 200 than ISO 3200.

I hope I got that right. rolleyes1.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 8, 2010
    I use Noiseware and really like its flexibility and user interface. However, I will be looking very closely at the new ACR noise reduction. If it is as good--or even almost as good, it might be worthwhile. Before I started using Noiseware, I had different NR defaults set up in ACR based on the ISO of the image, and if I can do that again--but with more sophisticated NR--I think it would save me some time. We'll see.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 8, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Noise Ninja for me, fantastic product!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Diva, I find Dfine 2.0 to be the best out theredeal.gif
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif

It works very nicely in PS by adding it's own layer and mask and the choice of applying to the whole image or to brush on the effect...which gives you total control.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I reaaaallly like the Noiseware.
    it is very very nice program.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited May 9, 2010
    Playing with the LR3 beta I have to say I'm increasingly impressed. I'm not sure it entirely alleviates the need for an external noise program, but the internal editor is impressive. Combined with the other new features (easy watermarking - AT LAST!!!) I may even consider buying the upgrade even if I don't get another academic copy for free :cry . It looks to be an excellent update to an already fine program. thumb.gif
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I just did a test using an older image taken with Nikon D70, 18-70mm kit lens; your basic "shoot-up-a-winding-staircase" inside at ISO 1600. Used NoiseNinja and Topaz DeNoise 4 in CS5 and the Topaz definitely gave the best results. No blocking and less detail loss. I had just updated the Topaz to v.4 so was interested in seeing the difference. I do agree, though, that it probebly depends on the individual image.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    I have NN and just recently purchased Denoise 4
    T.he nice thing about DN4 is that it uses a new algorithym which works selectively on noise with very little impact on details. Plus for very noisy images, there are additional sliders to re-enhance the details without adding noise. You should download the plugin free trial and try it. I never use NN now as panting out areas you don't want affected can be a pain. Plus there's a $30 discount till end of may using the discount code Intellinoise so price is $49.95. If you want to see a before and after PM me and I'll send you the links.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »

I just bought it. How do you get it to work with Aperture 3? Or do you?

I have it installed properly - but it is programmed for Aperture 2's bit-size, not 3?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada