I think one is a winner! CC Please?

tatunka2135tatunka2135 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited May 9, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi everyone...I have four pics I would like you to cc if you don't mind. I try and I try and I try but somehow always miss something in all of my shots. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, maybe I will finally get it right!

This is a shot of pretty pink blossoms reflectin on a small pond.

860252528_FcxNm-M.jpg

My attempt at capturing the beauty of nature on a small scale.

860251954_FgZrm-M.jpg

Finding something in an urban setting to shoot can be a challenge.

860252864_svk3b-M.jpg

Finally, Mother Nature seems to have a sense of humor sometimes.

860254308_HbjRw-M.jpg

I hope you like them, I hope you CC, and I really hope you share your knowledge with me.

Thanks
Tat

Comments

• mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Hi Tat!
    Although I don't post often because I, too, am stuck in the 'what-am-I-missing?' phase, I can see some problems with your images.

1 seems underexposed to me, and if the subject is the reflection, then I think the reflection should be highlighted a bit more. This image is better compositionally to my tastes than are the rest, though.

2 is too centered, the background, though pleasantly blurred, still distracts me and there is that stick poking in from the top left. I think a crop leaving the subject in the top right of the photo would make it more intersting. It isn't always about 'what's missing', sometimes its what you leave out. Exposure is better but maybe slightly underexposed still.

3 is again, centered, stuff poking in from the left side is distracting. You used leading lines with the two-edged blade of the shiga-wire, but they lead the eye out of the frame to the top left. Try a different crop on it eleminating the left side and using the rule of thirds to see how it works out.

4, Haha, I like that you used the bark to 'frame' the subject, but it is, alas, still centered. exposure maybe a bit off.

It looks like you are enjoying what you are doing. I visited your site, and noticed an image of two people on a dock (#7 of 12). I liked it, but, thought it needed to have the lower left side of the photo cropped out and the rule of thirds applied. I think your best shot is the wayward duck feather (#8 of 12 on your site.)

Thanks for sharing and keep posting.

-mrlassiter

www.peachthorn.com
    www.peachthorn.com/press
  • tatunka2135tatunka2135 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Mr. Lassiter,

Thanks for your comments, I really do appreciate it. This is a very tough crowd at dgrin...so many views and no comments. I was hoping for some direction and I thank you for stopping by and helping me out.

I do seem to have an issue with under-exposure, just the learning curve I guess. When I go out to shoot I try to remind myuself of all the basic rules, then I get excited and forget them all. Lol.

Thank you for visiting my mugsite, and thenk you for commenting on those pics as well. I will deffinatley learn from this.

Thanks
    Tat
  • mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Mr. Lassiter,

Thanks for your comments, I really do appreciate it. This is a very tough crowd at dgrin...so many views and no comments. I was hoping for some direction and I thank you for stopping by and helping me out.

I do seem to have an issue with under-exposure, just the learning curve I guess. When I go out to shoot I try to remind myuself of all the basic rules, then I get excited and forget them all. Lol.

Thank you for visiting my mugsite, and thenk you for commenting on those pics as well. I will deffinatley learn from this.

Thanks
    Tat

You are most welcome!
    And, Yes!, They are tough here, but like you said, you can learn a lot from these fine folks. I am learning all the time, and BTW the reason I focused on the issues I mentioned, is because I do those same things ad nauseum. Its like one huge mental block for me.
    And hang in there, others WILL comment, eventually.
    -mrlassiter

www.oeachthorn.com
    www.peachthorn.com/press
  • mikegsmikegs Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2010
    I agree with the comments on number two and would add that for me, you have captured a great sense of motion. A crop as mrlassiter suggests would really get my eye moving through the picture albeit from right to left instead of the more typical left to right. Thanks for sharing. I haven't found the courage to post a pic...yet.