Fairy Falls

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited May 13, 2010 in Landscapes
A little different composition than usual for Fairy Falls. This was a technically challenging capture, due to the DOF. I made three exposures for focus, and manually blended in PS. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

860889890_rr7mF-L.jpg

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I really like the composition with that little addition of color! Those falls are beautiful, I love how you captured them with just the right amount of silkiness (if that's a word).

Stephanie
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I think its gorgeous! Personally, the flower adds to it.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Stunning capture.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Chris, I love this shot. Good work with the dof blend!! I liked your other post too of the stream. Brilliant photography! clap.gifclap.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Wow! Nice work thumb.gif

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Very nice Chris.thumb.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Beautiful image!!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Nice catch! The flower on the side is a perfect touch, too. thumb.gif
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Gorgeous shot! Nice work.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    A lovely result for your effort. Very nice. thumb.gif

Interesting way to go about achieving focus throughout.

I'm pretty big on foreground interest in a shot if I can find it to serve
    the photo. Like your trying to do in this shot. But, for me this time, the
    lone flower and slim branch to right seem not to serve the image very well.
    Thats strictly just me in opinion. I was thinking it would be nice for balance
    if there was say another similar flower lower left side or something like that.
    :D Michael
    Michael
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Nice capture, Chris. The flower does add to the shot, but the branch that that protrudes into the falls on the right is bugging me, but that's probably just me.

Why the focus blending instead of just stopping down the aperture? Are you getting a sharper image with the larger aperture or just a PS exercise?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Fairy Falls
    Really nice, love it.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Nice capture, Chris. The flower does add to the shot, but the branch that that protrudes into the falls on the right is bugging me, but that's probably just me.

Why the focus blending instead of just stopping down the aperture? Are you getting a sharper image with the larger aperture or just a PS exercise?

Hi, the reason for the blend is that the proper exposure for the falls to get the 1 second shutter time I desired for silky water was f/22 ISO 50. There was a lot of wind blowing that flower, so with one second it was blurred. The DOF was so great ( I was less than a foot from the flower) that even without wind at f/22 with the focus directed towards the falls, the flower would have been very soft. So I got my falls exposure, and then two separate shots of the flower and fern at ISO 1000 f/9 1/50s (after waiting for the wind to stop briefly) which made them tack sharp. Ya the branch is distracting but I think it would look even weirder if I cloned it out.

RE: DaddyO: I understand what you are saying, it was the asymmetry of the single flower that I found appealing, and producing a different composition from what is commonly taken of these falls.

RE: Andy: thanks! I was with marc adamus this hike and he had a lot of nice things to say about your work.

Chris
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Very sweet. clap.gif Have you tried Zerene for focus stacking?
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Hi, the reason for the blend is that the proper exposure for the falls to get the 1 second shutter time I desired for silky water was f/22 ISO 50. There was a lot of wind blowing that flower, so with one second it was blurred. The DOF was so great ( I was less than a foot from the flower) that even without wind at f/22 with the focus directed towards the falls, the flower would have been very soft. So I got my falls exposure, and then two separate shots of the flower and fern at ISO 1000 f/9 1/50s (after waiting for the wind to stop briefly) which made them tack sharp. Ya the branch is distracting but I think it would look even weirder if I cloned it out.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

That's a very interesting technique that I never realized. I've struggled with similar issues and my standard technical response is pray for the wind to stop. I'll definitely add that to my bag of tricks.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Ya the branch is distracting but I think it would look even weirder if I cloned it out.

Great image Christhumb.gif

Why not just crop the bottom? It looks like it would work as a square!
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Great image Christhumb.gif

Why not just crop the bottom? It looks like it would work as a square!

Hmmm. good suggestion. I'll take a look at it.
    Thanks!