Coastal Rocks B&W

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited May 13, 2010 in Landscapes
859858421_bxJYk-XL.jpg

This shot was taken up at Crystal Cove near Laguna Beach a couple weeks ago while waiting for this sunset. Looking in this direction (180 degrees from the sunset), the clouds were solid and uninteresting so I tried to focus on the motion of the waves and the reflections on the wet sand.

C&C always welcome! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »

This shot was taken up at Crystal Cove near Laguna Beach a couple weeks ago while waiting for this sunset. Looking in this direction (180 degrees from the sunset), the clouds were solid and uninteresting so I tried to focus on the motion of the waves and the reflections on the wet sand.

C&C always welcome! thumb.gif

Well, that one seems to have been a bust rolleyes1.gif
    So, how's this one?

862847481_D8U6F-XL.jpg

Or the combo?
    862857636_fbTyo-XL-1.jpg
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    First one could have used an interesting sky, but the new ones don't need it as much. Very dramatic.
    edited May 10, 2010
    jpc wrote: »
    First one could have used an interesting sky, but the new ones don't need it as much. Very dramatic.

Thanks, jpc.

I wish I could have had a better sky for that first one, but sometimes you just take what you can get! :D

Also, I'm thinking I need to figure out sharpening for the web as all of these look a good deal softer than they do in photoshop! headscratch.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    jpc wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    The 2nd & 3rd are very nice Chris.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    In the first photo I'm thinking a little brighter light on the upper left rocks and then a little more white in the waves. This might increase the feel of depth in the photo. I like the reflection effect in the water a lot.

Considering that the sky you had to shoot under was very blah I think you did a very nice job.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 11, 2010
    I agree - there are greys, but no real whites in this image.

Even the brightest areas of the water are only light grey.

Try getting some real white and some real blacks in this image, Chris, and I think you will like it better.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    The last two are really nice with the wave action. How wet did you get from those waves?

They all did seem soft to me also. How do they look at 100% in Photoshop or Lightroom? That's how I generally judge sharpness before applying any software sharpening.
    edited May 12, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    The 2nd & 3rd are very nice Chris.

Thank you, AndMan!
    vintagemxr wrote: »
    In the first photo I'm thinking a little brighter light on the upper left rocks and then a little more white in the waves. This might increase the feel of depth in the photo. I like the reflection effect in the water a lot.

Considering that the sky you had to shoot under was very blah I think you did a very nice job.

Doug
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I agree - there are greys, but no real whites in this image.

Even the brightest areas of the water are only light grey.

Try getting some real white and some real blacks in this image, Chris, and I think you will like it better.

Thank you, Doug and Jim! I'm really still experimenting with how to create a quality B&W image. Most of my coversions in the past have felt a little flat and I think you're both right that this one could benefit from a little more tonal range.

What's the best way to get some real whites in the image? A curves adjustment layer using the eye dropper for the whites?
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    The last two are really nice with the wave action. How wet did you get from those waves?

They all did seem soft to me also. How do they look at 100% in Photoshop or Lightroom? That's how I generally judge sharpness before applying any software sharpening.

Thanks, Tom!
    I actually didn't get wet at all on these shots (later for the sunset I was knee deep in the waves, but nothing more than my toes for these).

They do appear soft here... My conversion process for these was to throw away the green and blue channels as the red channel had the image I liked the most. After throwing them out, the image lost some sharpness and I'm guessing those channels held a decent amount of edge details. I tried to smart sharpen to compenstate and they look sharp and detailed in Photoshop but I think the downsizing for the web lost some of that sharpness. I'll make a 100% crop this afternoon and post it for comparison.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 12, 2010
    Chris, conversion of digital color to B&W can be done many, many ways - there are some suggestions here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=114917
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Thank you, Doug and Jim! I'm really still experimenting with how to create a quality B&W image. Most of my coversions in the past have felt a little flat and I think you're both right that this one could benefit from a little more tonal range.

What's the best way to get some real whites in the image? A curves adjustment layer using the eye dropper for the whites?

I've begun using Nikon Capture NX2 for all my conversions and adjustments and I think it works a bit different than PhotoShop. In NX2, for an adjustment you would just put a correction point on the spot you wanted to adjust and then work it from there. I would presume that is similar to the adjustment layer function in PShop.

In converting to B&W it's rare that a straight red/green/blue filter gets the best results. Some combination of those usually yields nice control over the tonal range with just minor tweaks after that.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
    edited May 13, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Chris, conversion of digital color to B&W can be done many, many ways - there are some suggestions here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=114917
    vintagemxr wrote: »
    I've begun using Nikon Capture NX2 for all my conversions and adjustments and I think it works a bit different than PhotoShop. In NX2, for an adjustment you would just put a correction point on the spot you wanted to adjust and then work it from there. I would presume that is similar to the adjustment layer function in PShop.

In converting to B&W it's rare that a straight red/green/blue filter gets the best results. Some combination of those usually yields nice control over the tonal range with just minor tweaks after that.

Doug

That's quite a list of techniques, Jim! eek7.gif
    Thank you for the link, some good weekend reading/experimenting is in order! thumb.gif

Thank you for your thoughts as well, Doug. No NX2 for me, but sounds similar to what adjustment layers can accomplish. I was hoping that starting with the channel that looked most like what I wanted I could develop quick and easy conversion process for myself, but it sounds like it's time to go back to the drawing board on the process! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I like the composition of first one, but for me it appears too flat with nothing in focus.

Here is a quick to perhaps provide you with an idea for a diferent processing direction. I hope you don't mind.

Sam
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Very nice Chris thumb.gifthumb
    edited May 13, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I like the composition of first one, but for me it appears too flat with nothing in focus.

Here is a quick to perhaps provide you with an idea for a diferent processing direction. I hope you don't mind.

Sam

I don't mind at all, Sam! Thank you for your interpretation, you've had me feverishly scrolling from top to bottom of the thread for the last few minutes trying to compare the two! rolleyes1.gif

I like the direction you took this in. I'll have to save it and use it as a reference over the weekend. thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 13, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice Chris thumb.gifthumb

Thank you, Dan! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos