Sunset Colours.. what do you think?

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Landscapes
I took these while out on friday night. I'd love some comments. Especially on the 2nd shot. They are all in HDR mode and manually blended with lots of pp in Photoshop.

sunset_colours_51.png

With these, do you think the lighter water is better? or the dark? The darker one is just the first one burned a little in aperture.

sunset_colours_3.png

sunset_colours_2.png

Thanks in advance.
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Karl, I really like #1 with one small nit - the horizon (lake shore) appears to be tilted a smidge down on the right, not a lot just enough to be noticeable. It could of course be that the horizon wasn't straight (I know that curved lake shores cause me no end of grief) but the angle of the jetty exacerbates the impression that something is off kilter.

Of the two images I prefer the lighter water.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    i like the 2nd shot (first of the two) - awesome shots!
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    AndMan wrote: »
    Karl, I really like #1 with one small nit - the horizon (lake shore) appears to be tilted a smidge down on the right, not a lot just enough to be noticeable. It could of course be that the horizon wasn't straight (I know that curved lake shores cause me no end of grief) but the angle of the jetty exacerbates the impression that something is off kilter.

Of the two images I prefer the lighter water.

Thanks AndMan - I fixed the horizon, I only needed to rotate it 0.5˚. That jetty does accentuate the tilt.

I edited the original post so it's fixed now.

Thanks choudhrysaab too. I prefer the first (lighter) one too, but my brother wasn't so sure so I made both versions.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    I think 2 & 3 need a little more going on in the foreground. If either of them had the pier from #1, or if #1 had the sky from 2 or 3, you'd have a winner.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

Between 2 & 3, I prefer the lighter one, but as jpc says I think you're missing some foreground interest. The pier and branch in #1 are perfect for the foreground, but the sky in 1 isn't as nice as the others.

Overall, they're all really nice shots, but if this local, I'd recommend a reshoot trying for the comp of 1 and the sky/colors of 2.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Overall, they're all really nice shots, but if this local, I'd recommend a reshoot trying for the comp of 1 and the sky/colors of 2.

Thanks guys.

Chris, this is just around the corner from my place so I visit often. See how we go with sunset colours over the next little while.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod