Any of these any good?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
HI,

I am entering a competition in a couple of weeks - the topic is Architecture/Record.

I know what Architecture means, but Record? I have been told it's a record of an item, taken almost as to give the viewer an insight as to how it was made...but I don't know. What do you think?

Here are a few photos that I think may fit the bill, but want your opinions as to which to enter...

4586703303_91e44e7d61.jpg4492751392_1d346a824e.jpg

4446454264_63ef3bb596.jpg4408835311_4058d6998b.jpg

4453950737_60076aff92.jpg4591261074_ece220414b.jpg

4591262224_ee9a1bd8b9.jpg

Any Critique is welcome, over and about their suitability as Architecture or Record shots...

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Any takers? I'm all ears...ear.gif
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    The tractor stands out as do the cuff links. Depending on the slant of the competition, the others might be too common in terms of approach.
    edited May 10, 2010
    The tractor stands out as do the cuff links. Depending on the slant of the competition, the others might be too common in terms of approach.

Thank you.

The tractor and the cufflinks are the ones I have printed so far (it's a colour print competition) and I have printed one other from this set...

Anyone else like to comment?

Tahnks

Craig
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    I don't know what to comment on those photos as i am not expert or advanced enough to be in this level, but i hope you can care more about the composition and the angle, for example the house pic is tight to me, i prefer it should be either wider or look from different angles to have that house at best, at least if from in front directly it could be better than coming from a side and take tight shot of the house, the first shot is ix a saxophone? if is it then why you didn't show it all, at least with hands playing on it even no face, or if you want to show details or close-up then get inside the sax more and fill the frame with some details than show part of it with space around it for what purpose? the plants need to look for the DoF better than that, the tracer also not so interesting in this way of composition, the bird shot is not so good enough, you should take it from eye level or from down to up at least to show the pride of the bird, taken it from above or higher level not giving it any strong point.
    Change the tractor and the house shots to B&W and add a bit of grain it will make it better than color, but you need to look again for all the pics, i am no better than you but i wish if i were living there, i was in Scotland for 3 weeks only and i've got many nice shots there from Scotland only, what i will do if i live in Scotland or UK then?!!!
    edited May 10, 2010
    I don't know what to comment on those photos as i am not expert or advanced enough to be in this level, but i hope you can care more about the composition and the angle, for example the house pic is tight to me, i prefer it should be either wider or look from different angles to have that house at best, at least if from in front directly it could be better than coming from a side and take tight shot of the house, the first shot is ix a saxophone? if is it then why you didn't show it all, at least with hands playing on it even no face, or if you want to show details or close-up then get inside the sax more and fill the frame with some details than show part of it with space around it for what purpose? the plants need to look for the DoF better than that, the tracer also not so interesting in this way of composition, the bird shot is not so good enough, you should take it from eye level or from down to up at least to show the pride of the bird, taken it from above or higher level not giving it any strong point.
    Change the tractor and the house shots to B&W and add a bit of grain it will make it better than color, but you need to look again for all the pics, i am no better than you but i wish if i were living there, i was in Scotland for 3 weeks only and i've got many nice shots there from Scotland only, what i will do if i live in Scotland or UK then?!!!

Thanks for this detailed critique, and believe me, critique from anyone is good if it helps improve my photography. I am a Canon dSLR user of only 4 months - I am still very much a learner.

I have done other shots of some of these subjects...the issue is the competition, which I am not 100% sure of the remit. Architecture is one part, record another. Record I have been told (by the club chairman) is a shot that shows details of an item, and wouldn't necessarily be an interesting shot, but more of a technical shot - the viewer could almost re-make the objects from studying the shots (obviously not in the case of a bird, but hey...!).

So, I tried to represent the details of the subjects rather than creating an emotion or more artistic piece.

Now, whether that has been achieved at all is a different matter...!:confused
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    cmansell wrote: »
    Thanks for this detailed critique, and believe me, critique from anyone is good if it helps improve my photography. I am a Canon dSLR user of only 4 months - I am still very much a learner.

I have done other shots of some of these subjects...the issue is the competition, which I am not 100% sure of the remit. Architecture is one part, record another. Record I have been told (by the club chairman) is a shot that shows details of an item, and wouldn't necessarily be an interesting shot, but more of a technical shot - the viewer could almost re-make the objects from studying the shots (obviously not in the case of a bird, but hey...!).

So, I tried to represent the details of the subjects rather than creating an emotion or more artistic piece.

Now, whether that has been achieved at all is a different matter...!:confused

I see, then i don't know what to say
    Just keep shooting and experimenting and you will improve for sure.
    I wish you all good luck in the competition and photography!
  • ChuBeanChuBean Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    cmansell wrote: »
    I am entering a competition in a couple of weeks - the topic is Architecture/Record.

Question...what does the Record part have to do with Architecture? Is the contest related to both? Are the pictures to be architectually detailed? Is the record part stating that your picture should show the details of an architectual piece so that it can be reporduced? Sorry, but I'm sort of lost on the contest details...and then how this relates to the pictures you have here.
    Chuck Beehner...
    edited May 11, 2010
    ChuBean wrote: »
    Question...what does the Record part have to do with Architecture? Is the contest related to both? Are the pictures to be architectually detailed? Is the record part stating that your picture should show the details of an architectual piece so that it can be reporduced? Sorry, but I'm sort of lost on the contest details...and then how this relates to the pictures you have here.

Me too! That's why I posted! The architecture and the record bit are NOT linked in the terms of this competition. So, I suppose what I am asking is...are any of these RECORD shots? Of any type. ne_nau.gif