Commercial Photography for building/renovations company - how to price

brianward81brianward81 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 9, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
A friend has approached me with the following request and I'd like to ask you Grinners a couple questions about it;

The request is as follows;

"Basically we are a building, extensions and renovations company – what were looking at getting is some external and internal shots before and after the projects are complete. The scope of our works is usually additions of a couple of bedrooms, living area, bathroom/kitchen and outdoor entertaining. I’d assume that it would take between 20 mins – half hour prior to the project starting and maybe up to an hour after the project is complete.

Most of the jobs are in the northern suburbs and some towards the CBD, obviously if they were further out than that we can look at travel allowances etc.

We would require images on a disk – mainly for use on our website and internal display – with scope to use in our advertising. The main reason we are looking at this now is that next year I'm looking at advertising a 4 page spread in the Scoop WA’s best homes, as well as using it in our yellow pages ad."

After speaking to my friend it will be ongoing so I'd be doing shots every couple of weeks or so. My initial thought was to give them a set price per house so that any time they need a new house shot I would charge them the same rate but I'm open to other ideas. Also, with regards to the photos being used in advertising in print, would the fact that I'm taking the photos for that eventual purpose affect my pricing?

I've only been shooting "professionally" for a year and most gigs have been portraits, band photography, etc... so aside from needing to buy a wide angle lens for a lot of the shots, this is an area I've not considered or researched much so I'd really appreciate any tips or advice anyone could offer.

Many thanks in advance.