Alaskan Noir

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited May 9, 2010 in People
The other evening I stole some time to tinker with my flash, and set up for a few portraits against a steep shake-shingled roof with some nice texture to it and asked for some help from my supply of apathetic model potential, and things escalated from there. We started with plain old portraits against the wall/roof, and as the sun went down we quickly went into a bit of a different style than what I normally shoot. This is great, of course, since I'm always learning!

The full gallery is here if you want more, and if you do visit, let me know which version of this first picture you like best! :D
http://www.morffed.com/2010/Noir-in-the-Valley/12114751_KqcXw#861119641_8NkSj

1:Here's my wife, Tracy:
861119641_8NkSj-L.jpg

After the first couple shots, my models gained interest and the hats and sunglasses came out. Several of these girls are "drama nerds" with a history of performing on stage, so once we got going, we really got going. :D

2: Here's Jess and Sanaa
861133247_3di8F-L.jpg

I have a bunch of these that I couldn't decide if I liked better in B&W or slightly saturated, so I did both. I think this one looks awesome with a touch of color, but since the two above are color, I'll show you the B&W: :D

3: Sanaa again
861145382_qY525-L.jpg

Kelsey (Prezwoodz) is away on vacation climbing over the beautiful scenery of southeast Alaska. He says it's work, but nobody's fooled (except the State evidently). As a bonus for those of us at home, his girlfriend is more available to hang out with. :rofl

4: Shasta
861146599_7Y8E8-L.jpg

Having exhausted our imaginations with our wooden wall, entire costumes appeared, the group grew by one, and we migrated across town en-masse at midnight to an old bridge abutment which includes a culvert and some graffiti. Unfortunately our Valley Trash population is very VERY lacking in graffiti talent, but at least it adds some color. (The color version of this shot is HERE if you'd like it!)

5: Ray and Sanaa
861155273_9594g-L.jpg

And after much playing around and a few good shots, we wrapped up early in the morning and headed back to the warm indoors to catch some sleep before rising to go climbing for the day. But not before a parting shot of a drowsy watchman on the bridge.

6: Ray, alone in the middle of the night.
861169425_GBcmv-L.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com